Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default browser reverting to Chrome at start up

Safari 6.22 (although this has been going on longer than this iteration). and OSX 10.8.5.

I've set Safari to be the default browser, and during the session--so long as the computer is on--it stays the default. However, when I shut down and/or reboot, upon return Chrome has taken over as the default and sure enough in Safari that default browser setting has reverted to Chrome.

This feels like some sort of system glitch, or else there's a second place where I have to establish the hierarchy of the browsers. I've flipped back and forth between the two over time, but these days overall I find Safari more to my liking; and in any case would like to be the one choosing my default and having it stay put until I say otherwise.

What am I missing about the Default Browser setting?

Thanks,

greg frost

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 27", 2.7GHz

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 8:29 AM

7 replies

Jan 22, 2015 12:45 PM in response to dominic23

Thanks, Dominic23, but that didn't work. With all extensions turned off, I restart the computer, open Safari, check under preferences, and the Default Browser listed is once again Chrome. So it would appear not to have anything to do with the extensions. For some reason Safari still refuses to "stick" as the default browser between restarts and shut downs.

User uploaded file

Jan 22, 2015 6:41 PM in response to Gregory Frost

Back up all data before proceeding.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Triple-click anywhere in the following line on this page to select it:

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Jul 6, 2015 7:18 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, Dominic23, but that didn't work. With all extensions turned off, I restart the computer, open Safari, check under preferences, and the Default Browser listed is once again Chrome. So it would appear not to have anything to do with the extensions. But for some reason Safari refuses to "stick" as the default browser between restarts and shut downs.

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2015 7:52 AM in response to Eric Root

Yes,

Tried that months ago, twice, to no avail. At that point I was only noticing the Safari quirkiness, but the "Opening App for the first time" phenomenon was occurring then, too…I just really wasn't paying it much mind. In any case, the flip to Chrome has continued after any shutdown of the computer. Still nothing more than an annoying inconvenience, but now I'm thinking it's part of something a bit more involved.

-gf

Jul 8, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Gregory Frost

Long shot.

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

You will need to do that after any updates.

Default browser reverting to Chrome at start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.