Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I select preferred wifi networks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), na

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 10:40 AM

8 replies

Jan 22, 2015 12:17 PM in response to Eric Root

Let me rephrase the question. With everyone having a wifi network every time I want to switch from my two primary networks I have a list of over 30 local networks that are listed in my menu bar. As these two are anywhere on that list I have to locate and chase them when I switch as they move. I am tired of this. I remember that in one of the old versions of OS X I was able to hide or select what networks were showing. IE: decide to not show all/any available networks and only show My preferred networks. I would like to have this function back.

I hope I have explained it better this time.

Jan 22, 2015 12:32 PM in response to ivisonfrommemphis

I'm not sure there is the specific fix you seek, but have you selected the check box at System Preferences->Network->WiFi->Remember networks I have joined? That would allow you to connect without having to search for the network. Otherwise, I don't know what else you can do.

You can also sort the networks you have joined and remembered, but I don't know if that does anything for you at all. It does make it easier to connect, but it seems from your posts that's not the problem.

Jan 22, 2015 2:48 PM in response to ivisonfrommemphis

I don't know how to block the other wireless access points to show on the list, but from what you said, you want to let it connect to one of your preferred network whenever one is available, connect it automatically.

before you change anything, let run the following command in Terminal to show your Mac current settings:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airp ort en1 prefs

copy what it returned.

mine returned:

AirPort preferences for en1:

DisconnectOnLogout=NO

JoinMode=Preferred

JoinModeFallback=Prompt

RememberRecentNetworks=YES

RequireAdminIBSS=NO

RequireAdminNetworkChange=YES

RequireAdminPowerToggle=YES

WoWEnabled=NO

That's the default behaviour of OS X, we don't care for what reason it was changed on your Mac. Lets reset it.

in Terminal, run the following command:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/air port en1 prefs JoinMode=Preferred JoinModeFallback=Prompt RememberRecentNetworks=YES

it may ask you to put admin password, and do so, press enter to continue.

Explain a little bit.

The JoinMode=Preferred means, it will connect your preferred network when it's available.

JoinModeFallback=Prompt: if no preferred network around, it will prompt you to choose. if you want you can select other options:

JoinOpen

KeepLooking

DoNothing

RememberRecentNetworks=YES: it will remember whatever network it joined before, put it in your preferred network. If you want, set it to No.

you can get the details of airport command by run:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airp ort

Hope this help.

Jan 23, 2015 4:18 PM in response to Dragon2ca

I typed in "sudo/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resource s/airport en1 prefs JoinMode=Preferred JoinModeFallback=Prompt RememberRecentNetworks=YES". I tried this twice as the first command you sent me to try; the one where the actual prefs were revealed however had a spot in it where "...A/Resouces/airport..." in the first terminal command (see following) airport was one word and in the second (reset it was two). i.e. (my prefs showed the following:

DisconnectOnLogout=NO

Unable to retrieve JoinMode

JoinModeFallback=DoNothing

RememberRecentNetworks=YES

RequireAdminIBSS=NO

RequireAdminNetworkChange=NO

RequireAdminPowerToggle=NO

WoWEnabled=YES

I tried the second command and it didn't work I changed the airport to one word like the first commend that worked and the same result was given that being the following

"sudo: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/air : command not found"

Jan 24, 2015 10:52 AM in response to ivisonfrommemphis

Have no idea how the command pasted was broken, it might be the same reason that there's space in "Resource s" in the first line of your post. anyway, the "airport" is one word.

If this doesn't work, final resort I can tell might be reset system configuration preferences. even though, I have tried it times with no negative effect OS X, but it's none Apple recommended, if you choose this, make sure you know the risk and backup your data.

It's simple, delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and restart immediately, OS X should rebuild a new one on the next startup, but all network/wilress,VPN and others system wide stuff you changed before and configurations, preferred network will be gone. BE CAREFUL and good luck.

Jan 27, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Dragon2ca

Hmmmm, I understand and performed, without event, the process worked. But my other question is I remember a time when I was able to select what wifi networks even showed up from the menu bar drop down menu. Say if I only wanted my favorite networks to show up that that was all that showed up in the drop down.

Is this function no longer possible.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.