Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unix executable file won't open HELP!

I am having the same problem as one other person, my word folder has changed to a Unix executable file and I can't open the content in the folders anymore. I was just using the folder yesterday and now they are now working. Please help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.1.x), OS X yosemite 10.10

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 10:53 AM

4 replies

Jan 23, 2015 7:11 AM in response to tamikiagreene

Can you include a screen capture of this "folder". I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

From your description it is possible that you just need to Get Info on the folder and remove an extension from the file name:

1. right click or context click on the folder.

2. select Get Info

3. In the info window that appears, look for "Name & Extension:"

4. remove anything that looks like ".xxx" or just anything that is not the name of the folder.

Jan 23, 2015 7:55 PM in response to tamikiagreene

I'm not sure if this is your problem. But I was futzing with a file, and intentionally removed most of it's attributes, as reported by the mdls command.

I was able to get enough of them back, for the file to be recognized by the finder again.

This command lists the different importers.

$ mdimport -L

find the one that matches the filetype. Then run the following, where testfile is the file that you're having problems with.

mdimport -g /System/Library/Spotlight/XXXXXX.mdimporter testfile

I don't use Word, so I can't tell you the name of the importer file that you need. It may be possible to just

run

mdimport testfile

Nils

Unix executable file won't open HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.