Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to repeat template layout in new pages?

I want to make a very simple storyboard layout with three rows dividing the page horizontally and one vertical line a third of the way from the left margin.

I did this and saved it as a template but the layout only shows up on the first page. If I add a page before or after the page with the layout, Pages gives me a blank page.

I would like the layout to repeat each time I add a page. Is this possible? If so how?

Cheers,

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 1,7 GHz i7, 8Gb ram

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 11:12 AM

13 replies

Jan 22, 2015 12:01 PM in response to Lars Hansen

From what you are saying it sounds like you have used Pages '09 previously.

I suggest you continue using Pages '09, because Pages 5 has dropped captured pages in documents (and over 100 other features) which is what made Pages '09 so powerful.

I have not been able to find a way around Pages 5's shortcomings in this area other than to duplicate the page in the Thumbnails.

Peter

Jan 22, 2015 12:49 PM in response to VikingOSX

Section Masters have static uneditable items on every page, really just watermarks.

I take this back. It won't work in Layout mode documents but in Word Processor documents:

1. Add a vertical rule with the Shapes tool.

2. Add either 3 text boxes or a 3 row table

3. Select all the above: Menu > Arrange > Section Master > Move Objects to Section Master/Make Master Objects Selectable

4. Insert a Section Break on each page. It has to be a Section break otherwise editing the Master Objects will repeat on previous pages.

This has been always the absolute worst part of Pages 5 and I really can't figure out how anyone at Apple thought this was good design.

This was all resolved 30 years ago in PageMaker, Ready-Set-Go, and several other DTP Apps. Not to mention it worked very effectively in Pages '09.

I admit the Captured Pages implementation in Pages '09 is less than obvious, but its function once set up is way faster than anything else I know.

Peter

Jan 22, 2015 1:39 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I'll give it a try. I'm using Pages 5 and have used Pages since it came out though only sporadically. I'll try out what you've suggested but it seems like this should be a really easy to do. I think that apple is over thinking some things and changing apps simply to say they have been 'updated'. They also took away some basic UI features in iTunes which has made the program more cumbersome/less user friendly to use.

Thanks for your help, Peter and Viking

How to repeat template layout in new pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.