Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro won't sleep when I close it?

Background: Late 2011 Model Macbook Pro running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1. I recently completely erased the disk and "restored my computer as brand new." Then i put my music, pictures, and documents back on the computer. Other than that, I recently used http://schock.net/articles/2012/02/20/how-to-fix-a-wobbly-macbook-pro-screen/ to fix my wobbly macbook screen, but used the late 2011 model directions to take the computer apart. I don't believe i messed with anything in that way, because this only started happening the other day.

Problem: My macbook will only go to sleep immediately when going to the apple menu and hitting sleep. Normally, i would always just close the screen and it would go to sleep right then and there. Now when i close the screen, it takes a couple of minutes (sometimes longer) for the screen to actually sleep. Like i said, it happened the other day, not immediately after i opened up my computer, so i don't think i touched anything inside that would cause this issue.

Likely problems that i've seen in my search to find the solution: All my energy preferences are set to what they should be to sleep normally. All the boxes are unchecked in the sharing preferences. Nothing is plugged into my usb ports currently. Nothing is connected to bluetooth. No wireless printers.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any insurance on this computer anymore, and i would like to not have to bring it in somewhere to fix the issue because i've just returned to school for the spring semester. Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 11:48 AM

25 replies

Jan 22, 2015 7:30 PM in response to manili

Tried that, with no success. This is what is output:

Last login: Thu Jan 22 22:08:36 on ttys000

kjleven-pc:~ melissanelson110$ pmset -g assertions

2015-01-22 22:10:21 -0500

Assertion status system-wide:

BackgroundTask 0

ApplePushServiceTask 0

UserIsActive 1

PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0

PreventSystemSleep 0

ExternalMedia 0

PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 0

NetworkClientActive 0

Listed by owning process:

pid 964(hidd): [0x00001d160009012c] 00:00:29 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle"

Timeout will fire in 271 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease

No kernel assertions.

kjleven-pc:~ melissanelson110$

Seems "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle" is the culprit. Whenever i quit that process, it immediately pops up again in the activity monitor. Not sure what it is, but i've seen it cause problems in many other threads. Have yet to see a solution though, and it seems like mainly a mavericks problem.

Jan 23, 2015 8:19 AM in response to manili

So check to see if the Hall Effect sensor is working correctly. It's located diagonally down to the left of the "fn" key. About an inch down.

Use a magnet. I use one from an old IDE 2.5" hard drive. I'm uploading a video, but it's in line and will be done in an hour!

That sensor is on the cable that runs the state lights for your battery. Is that working?

If it fails this test reasons could be:

Yosemite

Missing magnet - check on your display about that same area when the display is closed.

Cable unplugged . if the LED state lights are working then that cable is OK.

Macbook Pro won't sleep when I close it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.