Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop up problems in Safari on OS X Yosemite!

My pop up blocker is activated, and Cookies are only allowed on websites I visit frequently, yet i have been having a recurring issue on my Macbook air (11in, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3) ever since I updated the software on my laptop to OS X Yosemite. The issue is with a website called Offers4u and smartsearch.net, but i cannot find anything up to date about how to get rid of this. I have spoken to a person from apple over the phone who went through possible reasons with me, and i went through all of the links on another page to find the issue but found NOTHING. If i want a troubleshoot i have to pay £25 as I've had the mac since 2012 but as i am a student and on a student loan that already gives me very little it is difficult for me to be able to do that.

If anyone would be of any help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 12:33 PM

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Problems

If you are having an immediate problem with ads popping up see The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide, AdwareMedic, or Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support.

Open Safari, select Preferences from the Safari menu. Click on Extensions icon in the toolbar. Disable all Extensions. If this stops your problem, then re-enable them one by one until the problem returns. Now remove that extension as it is causing the problem.

The following comes from user stevejobsfan0123. I have made minor changes to adapt to this presentation.

Fix Some Browser Pop-ups That Take Over Safari.

Common pop-ups include a message saying the government has seized your computer and you must pay to have it released (often called "Moneypak"), or a phony message saying that your computer has been infected, and you need to call a tech support number (sometimes claiming to be Apple) to get it resolved. First, understand that these pop-ups are not caused by a virus and your computer has not been affected. This "hijack" is limited to your web browser. Also understand that these messages are scams, so do not pay any money, call the listed number, or provide any personal information. This article will outline the solution to dismiss the pop-up.

Quit Safari

Usually, these pop-ups will not go away by either clicking "OK" or "Cancel." Furthermore, several menus in the menu bar may become disabled and show in gray, including the option to quit Safari. You will likely have to force quit Safari. To do this, press Command + option + esc, select Safari, and press Force Quit.

Relaunch Safari

If you relaunch Safari, the page will reopen. To prevent this from happening, hold down the 'Shift' key while opening Safari. This will prevent windows from the last time Safari was running from reopening.

This will not work in all cases. The shift key must be held at the right time, and in some cases, even if done correctly, the window reappears. In these circumstances, after force quitting Safari, turn off Wi-Fi or disconnect Ethernet, depending on how you connect to the Internet. Then relaunch Safari normally. It will try to reload the malicious webpage, but without a connection, it won't be able to. Navigate away from that page by entering a different URL, i.e. www.apple.com, and trying to load it. Now you can reconnect to the Internet, and the page you entered will appear rather than the malicious one.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2015 12:33 PM in response to JaymeMoyler

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Problems

If you are having an immediate problem with ads popping up see The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide, AdwareMedic, or Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support.

Open Safari, select Preferences from the Safari menu. Click on Extensions icon in the toolbar. Disable all Extensions. If this stops your problem, then re-enable them one by one until the problem returns. Now remove that extension as it is causing the problem.

The following comes from user stevejobsfan0123. I have made minor changes to adapt to this presentation.

Fix Some Browser Pop-ups That Take Over Safari.

Common pop-ups include a message saying the government has seized your computer and you must pay to have it released (often called "Moneypak"), or a phony message saying that your computer has been infected, and you need to call a tech support number (sometimes claiming to be Apple) to get it resolved. First, understand that these pop-ups are not caused by a virus and your computer has not been affected. This "hijack" is limited to your web browser. Also understand that these messages are scams, so do not pay any money, call the listed number, or provide any personal information. This article will outline the solution to dismiss the pop-up.

Quit Safari

Usually, these pop-ups will not go away by either clicking "OK" or "Cancel." Furthermore, several menus in the menu bar may become disabled and show in gray, including the option to quit Safari. You will likely have to force quit Safari. To do this, press Command + option + esc, select Safari, and press Force Quit.

Relaunch Safari

If you relaunch Safari, the page will reopen. To prevent this from happening, hold down the 'Shift' key while opening Safari. This will prevent windows from the last time Safari was running from reopening.

This will not work in all cases. The shift key must be held at the right time, and in some cases, even if done correctly, the window reappears. In these circumstances, after force quitting Safari, turn off Wi-Fi or disconnect Ethernet, depending on how you connect to the Internet. Then relaunch Safari normally. It will try to reload the malicious webpage, but without a connection, it won't be able to. Navigate away from that page by entering a different URL, i.e. www.apple.com, and trying to load it. Now you can reconnect to the Internet, and the page you entered will appear rather than the malicious one.

Jan 22, 2015 6:32 PM in response to JaymeMoyler

There is no need to download anything to solve this problem. You may have installed a variant of the "VSearch" ad-injection malware.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. These instructions are valid as of today, as far as I know. They won't necessarily be valid in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

The VSearch malware tries to hide itself by varying the names of the files it installs. To remove it, you must first identify the naming pattern.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "LaunchDaemons" may open. Look inside it for two files with names of the form

com.something.daemon.plist

and

com.something.helper.plist

Here something is a variable word, which can be different in each case. So far it has always been a string of letters without punctuation, such as "cloud," "dot," "highway," "submarine," or "trusteddownloads." Sometimes the word is "apple," and then you must be especially careful not to delete the wrong files, because many built-in OS X files have similar names.

If you find these files, leave the LaunchDaemons folder open, and open the following folder in the same way:

/Library/LaunchAgents

In this folder, there may be a file named

com.something.agent.plist

where the word something is the same as before.

If you feel confident that you've identified the above files, back up all data, then drag just those three files—nothing else—to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Close the Finder windows and restart the computer.

Don't delete the "LaunchAgents" or "LaunchDaemons" folder or anything else inside either one.

The malware is now permanently inactivated, as long as you never reinstall it. You can stop here if you like, or you can remove two remaining components for the sake of completeness.

Open this folder:

/Library/Application Support

If it has a subfolder named just

something

where something is the same word you saw before, drag that subfolder to the Trash and close the window.

Don't delete the "Application Support" folder or anything else inside it.

Finally, in this folder:

/System/Library/Frameworks

there may an item named exactly

v.framework

It's actually a folder, though it has a different icon than usual. This item always has the above name. Drag it to the Trash and close the window.

Don't delete the "Frameworks" folder or anything else inside it.

If you didn't find the files or you're not sure about the identification, post what you found.

If in doubt, or if you have no backups, change nothing at all.

The trouble may have started when you downloaded and ran an application called "MPlayerX." That's the name of a legitimate free movie player, but the name is also used fraudulently to distribute VSearch. If there is an item with that name in the Applications folder, delete it, and if you wish, replace it with the genuine article from mplayerx.org.

This trojan is often found on illegal websites that traffic in pirated content such as movies. If you, or anyone else who uses the computer, visit such sites and follow prompts to install software, you can expect more of the same, and worse, to follow. Never install any software that you downloaded from a bittorrent, or that was downloaded by someone else from an unknown source.

In the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, select the General tab. The radio button marked Anywhere should not be selected. If it is, click the lock icon to unlock the settings, then select one of the other buttons. After that, don't ignore a warning that you are about to run or install an application from an unknown developer.

Then, still in System Preferences, open the App Store or Software Update pane and check the box marked

Install system data files and security updates (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

Download updates automatically (OS X 10.9 or earlier)

if it's not already checked.

Feb 11, 2015 9:45 AM in response to Kappy

Force quit and shift Relaunching safari helped so far with eliminating annoying and invasive popup ads, pop up pages. With were acquired when i tried to download ad block. When I removed it did't help. Using safari's pop up block did't stop it. It even invaded my banking software. Thanks for the help and I'm checking out the help sites you recommended. Some of it is back. Little green leaves net to words. Have to do some more research. Thanks for the links.

Feb 23, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Kappy

I just had the issue described by Kappy -- sceen locked, call apple immediately, etc. I called the number, they told me I had koobface worm. They wanted $800 to un-hack my computers and iPhone, etc. It all started sounding fishy. When they offered me a senior citizen discount, I knew it was fake -- that would not be an apple policy!

Apr 18, 2015 12:21 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, I have some issues, as follows:

First folder search reveals 2 folders by the name "com.adobe.fpsaud.plist" and "com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist" so the something isn't the same, one being adobe and the other oracle.

The second search reveals the folder "com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist". Although it matches oracle in the first search, it doesn'nt match both the files (since one was had the word adobe and the other oracle) but it does match one of them. Should I just drag the two files named oracle and not three as instructed by you?

The third search does, however, reveal a folder named "oracle" in the application support folder but I am not sure of whether to delete it due to the discrepancies in the first search

Finally, in the frameworks folder, there is no "v. framework" although many others with .framework as the ending term, such as "tk.framework", "tcl. framework" etc.

Thank you in advance.

Jul 13, 2015 5:31 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc.....I have the following in the /Library/Launch Daemons filer:

file:///Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

file:///Library/LaunchDaemons/com.fitbit.galileod.plist

file:///Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

file:///Library/LaunchDaemons/com.skype.skypeinstaller.plist

file:///Library/LaunchDaemons/com.starfield.backupservice.plist

can you tell me which ones I should remove?

Thanks so much!

Pop up problems in Safari on OS X Yosemite!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.