Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying battery issue

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

I'm frequently experiencing a weird behaviour in battery charging and discharging problem.

All suddenly it goes from %50~60ish to %100 while connected to the charger, and while disconnected from charger goes from 100 to 50~60 at once.

It's not something for all the time, but it happens frequently and each time of the same behaviour.

I bring it to Apple store and they ran all tests on it, and told everything is OK with battery and charger,

but I'm experiencing the same issue yet and unfortunately I have received no reasonable response from Apple technicians/engineers/genius-bar .

Here is a sample screenshot of Energy tab in activity monitor.

User uploaded file

(refer to the rightmost graph at the bottom.)

They told me at apple store that this behaviour is normal! and is due to running resource intensive applications, but as you may see I have no such program running.

I also asked them to replicate this behaviour on some other macbook for me so I ensure it is a normal behaviour, but they refused!

Is anybody else experiencing something like this?

Is there anyway to ask for a replacement?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 1:59 PM

8 replies

Jan 22, 2015 2:17 PM in response to _hamid_

Hi,

Your mac seems fine, like the Apple Store employees told you.

(if it might explain: sometimes, the Activity monitor tels 50-60 but it isn't 50% of the processor power, it's much less. If you want to see real processor usage, go to CPU, not "energy". "Energy" can go up to 350 (which is the "full" processor power) So don't worry, THIS IS NORMAL 😀

User uploaded file

as for the: "%50~60ish to %100 while connected to the charger", this is normal as well: the system stops/slows many background tasks while on the battery like content update and refresh, etc. (and again, it's not a percentage)

Hope it answers.

Jan 22, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Japib

Thanks for quick response,

But I didn't catch your point!

What do you mean of CPU usage?!
As far as I know, the rightmost graph at the bottom "Battery (Last 12 Hours)" is about charging status of battery.

Isn't that a measure of battery charging? I suppose getting to top in this graph means 100% charged and bottom of it equivalent of 0%.

My point is about the sudden changes in this graph going from half-charged to 100% and vice-versa, almost at once.

Also here is my CPU usage part, if it helps:

User uploaded file

Which I believe it's not counted as resource intensive situation.

Thanks again.

Annoying battery issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.