Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't have space to import library - but I do

Hello.

Just got a DropBox Pro account and wanted to move my Aperture Library there.
Didn't have enough space om my Mac Book Pro to just export the library, because I didn't have room for two - it's approximately 110 GB each and I had 60 GB to spare.

So I created a new one on en external hard drive, exported the whole thing and deleted the original library. That gave me some 190 GB to play with on my computer.
When I now try to import the library back to the computer, but in a folder located in my DropBox finder folder - i get this:

"The library could not be imported because there is not enough free space on your current Aperture Library volume.

83,46 GB is needed, but only 64,58 GB is available."
Is there a cache or something that I need t empty so that Aperture understands that there actually are some free space on my hard drive, or are there some hidden files left on my hard drive even if it indicates that it isn't?
Thank you.

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 1:26 PM

7 replies

Jan 22, 2015 2:44 PM in response to Being Remixed

It looks like the old library is still on the computer, but nowhere to be found.
When I did a disk test it says I have 70GB free hard disk.
So I moved the Aperture library to the trash. Deleted the trash can, and it's still there.
How to find and delete the already deleted file?
Or is it just making a re fortmat of the Hard Drive that will fix this?

Jan 22, 2015 4:07 PM in response to Being Remixed

Did you empty your trash?

Note: You SHOULD NOT store your Aperture library in Dropbox. Dropbox will corrupt it. If you ever accidentally access the Aperture library from 2 machines at once you'll have a catastrophic mess on your hands and Dropbox renames all of the internal files in Aperture's library. The chance that you'll have data loss is exceedingly high.

Jan 22, 2015 11:37 PM in response to Being Remixed

well after this i might re consider the place for the library though.

Do more than reconsider. Move the library to a compatible drive. If you value your pictures don't keep the only copy of your Aperture library on a remote server. There is no safe place to store the library remotely at all. I tested with several test libraries in a dropbox folder, on iCloud Drive, on a remotely mounted SMB volume. None off these libraries could be opened again, after they had been moved to that remote location. The libraries needed rebuilding and original image files could not be found.

Apple's requirements - see the link below:

Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

Also, it is strongly recommended that the Aperture library be stored on a locally mounted hard drive. Storing the Aperture library on a network share can also lead to poor performance, data corruption, or data loss.

Don't have space to import library - but I do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.