You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server, reset admin password

Hi guys,

We have an old PowerMac G4 server here, and it's running OS X Server, but I have no clue which version of OS X Server it is. Obviously as it's a G4 it is older than Snow Leopard. Anyway, I'm not really sure of even the admin login name, let alone the password because you have to know both to login. I've tried all of the usual logins and passwords. I've also booted into single user mode and tried the assorted command line suggestions I've seen elsewhere such as (after mounting volume) sh /etc/rc but that didn't work because it got stuck saying "waiting for IPFilter" over and over every 3 seconds and I couldn't break out of it and it never got past that point. I've also tried the /sbin/SystemStarter command but that goes into the GUI and hangs when it gets to "Login Window Starting".

So I have a couple of questions. First off, is there a command I can type to find out what version of the OS is installed from the command prompt when I boot into single user mode?

I suppose knowing that might change the procedure I need to follow to reset the password. And since the login screen makes you type both the user name and the password then seeing a list of logins might also be helpful, no? ;o)

Also, knowing which OS is installed might also help me figure out which OS X Server install disks to find if I need to boot from those.

One other thing, as soon as the server starts to boot the CD tray slides out, pushing it back in doesn't help as it just slides right on out again after a few seconds. I'm assuming maybe the boot order is set to boot from the CD first or something along those lines? But if that were the case then once it starts to boot from the HD then the CD tray should stay in once it's back in, right? Any ideas what's up with that? Is the CD drive defective?

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 2:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 3:50 PM

Hi, not sure what you tried, but...

This was Posted by: JoseAranda at September 9, 2006 3:48 AM

"OK, restart your computer, hold down Command-s and type in the following:

/sbin/fsck -fy Enter

/sbin/mount -uaw Enter

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone Enter

# The rm command is the remove command which deletes the file.

# Robert: I'd rename the file via: mv /var/db/.applesetupdone /var/db/.applesetupdone.old

reboot Enter

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

end of posted by: JoseAranda"

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

Admin Hack...

http://www.hackmac.org/?q=node/4

Starts up like the first time you buy a new Mac, but after filling in all that info again, you should have access to the computer and the other Users & files will still be there... give the new User a different name than an existing one.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2015 3:50 PM in response to D_Train

Hi, not sure what you tried, but...

This was Posted by: JoseAranda at September 9, 2006 3:48 AM

"OK, restart your computer, hold down Command-s and type in the following:

/sbin/fsck -fy Enter

/sbin/mount -uaw Enter

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone Enter

# The rm command is the remove command which deletes the file.

# Robert: I'd rename the file via: mv /var/db/.applesetupdone /var/db/.applesetupdone.old

reboot Enter

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

end of posted by: JoseAranda"

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

Admin Hack...

http://www.hackmac.org/?q=node/4

Starts up like the first time you buy a new Mac, but after filling in all that info again, you should have access to the computer and the other Users & files will still be there... give the new User a different name than an existing one.

Jan 22, 2015 4:00 PM in response to BDAqua

Hmmm, well I was just about to give you major kudo's but after typing all of the above (and basically renaming the .applesetupdone file) then typing exit it continued to boot, and just like you said it acted as if it was a new install. OK so far. But now it wants the serial # for Mac OS X server which I don't have. Good thing I renamed that file instead of deleting it, huh? Now what do I do? 😕

Jan 22, 2015 7:03 PM in response to BDAqua

Well I dug through our CD's and found the correct disks I believe, they were for 10.3.9 Server. So I entered the serial # for those and it worked. It asked me to create a new admin user account, I put in my name and a new password twice, answered about a million other questions, such as my host name, services to start, etc. Then after a couple of minutes it restarted. When it got to the login screen I typed my my name and password and it just shakes at me like I'm typing it wrong but I KNOW I'm typing it right. I tried numerous times with caps lock on and off, no go. So now it seems I gotta go through the whole process over again. What a PITA. At least I now know what version it's running. Arghhh....

Jan 23, 2015 11:56 AM in response to D_Train

Well the saga continues and gets weirder and weirder. The new user account that I created doesn't even exist!

I followed the suggestion to boot to single-user mode and get a list of users and the new user account isn't there. It was sorta helpful in giving me some of the other user account names and I used one of them to login as a standard user. Then I went into the "Accounts" utility and the server admin account that I saw listed in the users folder when I was at the command prompt doesn't even exist, though when I tried logging in as that user and got the password wrong a few times it gave me a password hint, implying that the user name was valid, but the user isn't even listed under :"Accounts". I still can't login as either of the 2 admin accounts that I see in the "Accounts" utility. What's also weird is that the server name is new, so some of the changes I made when I renamed the AppleSetupDone file seem to have took, yet the new admin name I created doesn't exist either in the users folder or under "Accounts". Like I said, very strange!

This whole situation is just bizarre. I worked for Apple Tech Support for over 3 years doing Mac Desktop support, and always rerouted calls for OS X Server to the Enterprise support department. I'm also in college taking a Linux class so the command line stuff isn't intimidating to me and my classes were even helpful when I was booted to single user mode. I used VI to edit a shell script, which didn't help so I changed it back.

Anyway, this all may be a moot point because we'll probably just end up wiping it anyways. It turns out that this server hasn't been used since 2007 and is running 10.3.9 Server. Maybe I can make a Linux machine out of it, eh? I'm not sure how well Linux runs on a Power PC, but it may be worth a try!

I just hope these ramblings may help some other Apple customer that may be having similar issues. Thanks again for your help!

Jan 23, 2015 4:38 PM in response to D_Train

Yes, you could install Linux/PPC on it,pretty out of date, but maybe not as out of date as 10.3.x, but if you have the original Install Discs & serial# info...

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the Erase tab.

4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5. Select your Mac OS X volume.

6. Highlight the drive, select Partition Tab, then Format type... MacOS Extended Journalled, select the Security Options button, choose Zero Out Data, Erase, one pass... after completion hopefully you'll be able to get a good install.

OS X Server, reset admin password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.