Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime, iMessage, etc., Password prompts repeatedly appear, despite dismissal.

I restarted my MacBook Pro some time after updating to the latest OSX, and I now cannot use this laptop at all without an endless parade of prompts asking for my FaceTime, iCloud, iMessage, etc., passwords. I hit "cancel" each and every time, and five seconds later, the prompts reappear one after the other. It is endless, despite disabling iCloud on all my devices to see if that helped. It did not. It has rendered this laptop completely unusable because the prompts float on top of whatever other apps I have open. I want to throw this piece of junk in the trash. Please tell me how to get these prompts to disappear already!

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 2:43 PM

3 replies

Jan 22, 2015 10:09 PM in response to mimifromchampaign

Back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select

Change Settings for Keychain "login"

In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences... First Aid

There are four checkboxes in the window that opens. Check all of them. if they're not already checked. Close the window.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

If you use iCloud Keychain, open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the Keychain box. You'll be prompted to delete the local iCloud keychain. Confirm. Then re-check the box. Follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set up iCloud Keychain on an additional device.

Feb 2, 2015 4:16 PM in response to mimifromchampaign

I am having this problem too, but I get 5 popups all asking for my iCloud password. I tried the tip above from Linc Davis, but that didn't work. I've also disabled iCloud on my other devices and there is still no difference. This is very annoying and I can't use my laptop ethier without these annoying popups.

Macbook Pro Retina 10.10.2, iPhone 6 Plus 8.1.3

Feb 3, 2015 1:13 PM in response to alyssa Balboa

Hi,

Whilst your iCloud ID may in fact be the one used in FaceTime, as the iMessages ID in Messages, the iTunes ID along with the App Store and even the Game Centre they can in fact be different.

You can consider that you have an iTunes ID - possibly linked to the Apple Store ID as they can access the same Money payment options or Credit you have.

In addition the same is true of iMessages. You can sign Out of iCloud and the iMessages account will still work.

If you are using the same ID in all these place I would check each app in turn.

As Link says the normal place this is an Issue is if the Login Keychain is not using the same Password and the Mac User Account Login.

User uploaded file

It is the second one down that is the most important in this respect.

Then it has to be Unlocked for other app to Read it.

Can you confirm this is what you did ?

I know this seems pedantic but it will give us a chance to see if the Instructions are as clear as we think they are.

Next.

In a Finder window use the Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key.

Select the Library item that shows when you do this.

Navigate to Keychains.

Highlight the Login one.

Right Click and select Get Info.

At the bottom it should show the Same name as in The Users Folder for your account (the one with the Little House icon)

You should have Read and Write permissions.

If you highlight your name then use the little Cogwheel type icon underneath you should see text that is Greyed Out (It is grey if You Own the item already)

This is a Sample pic

User uploaded file

DO you Own the Keychain and do you have Permission to Read and Write to it ?

User uploaded file

9:13 pm Tuesday; February 3, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

FaceTime, iMessage, etc., Password prompts repeatedly appear, despite dismissal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.