Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How you do unlock a portable hard drive

Out of the blue my portable HD became locked. How do I unlock it when it will not change under Get Info. It tells me the privileges are "custom" and nothing I do will change that. How do I unlock it?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Used for my software RIP

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 7:45 PM

5 replies

Jan 22, 2015 7:48 PM in response to Kim D M Simmons

Try: Fix Permissions for a Locked Drive

Open Terminal in the Utilities folder. Paste the following commands at the prompt. Press RETURN after each. The first command will prompt for you to enter your admin password. It will not be echoed to the screen. After entering your password press RETURN again.

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/*

sudo chmod a+rx /Volumes/*

killall Finder

Jan 22, 2015 9:01 PM in response to Kappy

Actually I did not, I have no idea how the Solved was checked. I think something was going on here because when I first saw your answer there were no lines to copy, after I said there were no lines to copy, they appeared. I then did try it and it worked. The answer was GREAT and i have now printed that out as well as kept a pdf of your answer. In the last 25 years of being on a Mac I have never had an external or internal drive just lock out of the blue. They suddenly appeared like I said. I did end up wiping the main hard drive and putting a new system on the drive. I have to stay with 10.6 because of the RIP, otherwise I would be further up the food chain. Thank you for your quick response less then 10 minutes and I am sorry about somehow checking solved when it wasn't.

How you do unlock a portable hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.