Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an App icon be removed from home screen?

My wife recently tried to download a third part App onto her iPad Air 2 and apparently the App stopped loading. A darkened App icon appears on her display with the word "waiting underneath the blacked out icon. When clicking on that icon, a dialog box appears stating "Unble to download App". "the App can not be downloaded at this time", with a DONE and RETRY buttons below the text. When selecting either button, the dialog box disappears, leaving only a blacked out icon amongst the active App icons. The App does not appear in Settings>Usage>Manage Storage todelete the App I tried a reset and that not remove the dark App. Is there anything she can do? She has since decided that she no longer wants this App.

Posted on Jan 22, 2015 6:55 PM

9 replies

Jan 23, 2015 8:45 PM in response to bobseufert

Bob,

hello my Friend. It has been a long time and I hope the new year brings you good health. As you can see, I have added another uPad to my family. My wife has not tried your your recommendation yet. I say 'She' because she always says "if I always do things for her ,she will never learn how to do it herself. Therefore, I have given her your recommendation, so she can do it herself. I will report on whether she was successful not tomorrow.

I Wonder if you could answer a couple of questions for me. I have submitted this question to the i Tunes ASC but have not received a reply.

1) Is there a minimum ITunes version that will not support an iPad synchronization?

2) Is ITunes capable supporting both an iPod and iPad on the same computer?

I Hope you do not mind me slipping the iTunes questions in,

XIXi,

DArrell

Jan 23, 2015 9:02 PM in response to Darrell R Coe

Aloha Darrell, Good to hear from you again. My health is fine, thank you, and I wish you the same. On to the questions. The most recent version of iTunes is always recommended, unfortunately I don't know if there is a minimum. I believe you can sync both your iPad and iPod on the same computer, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't have a computer and don't have the first hand experience to give you the answers you need. If you don't get the answer in the iTunes Forum you can ask the same questions in this Forum, I'm sure someone will know. Give my reguards to your wife. Stay well. Bob.

Jan 24, 2015 2:24 PM in response to bobseufert

Bob,

I did not use the reset recommendation, but when I attempted to teach my wife how to move an App icon from Screen 1 to screen Screen 2, i apparently held my finger on an icon too long, making all the App icons shake. The App icon,my wife wanted removed, was also shaking with an 'X' in the upper left corner of the icon. I press the Home button to restore the iPad to normal operating condition and went to Settings>Usage>Manage Storage and verified that the App, she wanted removed was indeed not listed. I went back and initiated the icon shaking condition. Pressing the 'X' produced a dialog window confirming my request to deletethe App. I confirmed the requestand the App icon was gone. I again went back to the settings to verified that the App was not listed.

PLease thank ckuan and neil for their assistance and help. (I know you must of had a hand in their quick response). I will now have to explain to my Wife why my iPad (3rd Gen) can be synced up to my MacBook 2,0 (OS X 10.6,8) and her iPad Air 2 needs to be backed up to .

and to you my Friend, you are an iPad Savior, Thank you again and Good Health,

XIXi,

DArrell

Jan 24, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Darrell R Coe

Aloha Darrell I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out. Unfortunately I had nothing to do with ckaun or Niel's answering. Both ckuan and Niel are very knowlegable. helpful, and as you've noticed very quick to render aid. If you haven't done already take ckuan's advice about making a iCloud backup. During a failed IOS 8.1 Update my iPad went into recovery mode. i took my iPad over to the Apple store and they restored it from my iCloud backup. I got all my info back, plus it cleared up much needed memory space. Stay well. Bob.

Can an App icon be removed from home screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.