Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2013 Mac Pro + BenQ BL3201PT

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my 2008 Mac Pro to a new 'cylinder' Mac Pro + 4K display.

My background is FMCG packaging and therefore my work life is surrounded by Adobe CC applications, Cinema 4D etc.

I've been looking at and researching the new BenQ BL3201PT 4K display to pair with the Mac Pro but at this moment this display is a new product; I wondered therefore if anyone in the community has any real-world experience of this Mac + Display combination that they'd be willing to share.

I am conscious that according to Apple's own KB document - Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with Mac computers -that only a handful of 4K displays are supported and as of this moment this model isn't one of them. BenQ's website http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl3201ptstates that this model is Mac compatible.

As always, any help an advice appreciated.

A

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 4:16 AM

6 replies

Jan 23, 2015 12:57 PM in response to mac-dude

I have owned and used the Asus 32 in. 4K monitor (PQ321Q) with the late 2013 Mac Pro for more than a year. I noticed that currently Amazon has an excellent price on this monitor (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PQ321Q-31-5-Inch-4K-Monitor/dp/B00DJ4BIKA/ref=sr_1_1? ie=UTF8&qid=1422045902&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+4k+monitor+32+inch) and this monitor is also available from B&H Photo. This monitor, when MST (multi stream transport) is enabled in the monitor's menu gives 60 Hz refresh and a beautiful UltraHD (3840X2160)) image with absolutely no problems at all. I have not experienced a single problem with this monitor and the Mac Pro late 2013 model in over a year of use. I have not even bothered to calibrate the image produced by this monitor since right out of the box the image has consistently looked perfect to my eyes with excellent detail, color saturation, brightness and contrast all at the default setting of the Asus display. You can operate the monitor at 4K using the HDMI output of the late 2013 MacPro but this will give you only a 30 Hz refresh rate which most people, including myself, find unacceptable.

If you decide to purchase this monitor, please note that you will also need to purchase or have on hand a mini display port to display port cable in order to connect the mini display end to one of the thunderbolt ports on your Mac Pro and the other end to The monitor. This is NOT supplied with the monitor but can be bought from Amazon or elsewhere.

The only downside I can think of to this monitor is that it lacks any hub connections like USB 3 which many monitors have. I simply solved this problem by purchasing a 7 port USB 3 hub.

Tom

Jan 29, 2015 8:49 AM in response to mac-dude

Hi, I do have the BL3201PT on a macpro 4.1 (Yosemite) running on a Radeon HD7950. Work fine but some imperfection.... First 3840x2160 at 30Hz using dvi-d, or hdmi. I had problems booting using Displayport, this issue is still not resolved, the strange thing is that if I boot using dvi-d and then I plug the displayport or mini-dp, then I can switch with 3840x2160 at 60hz, so it is only a initialization issue that I am not going to resolve by myself.... :-). The Benq is nice, the small external remote controller to reach the OSD menu is nice to have, the connectivitiy is more than enough. I am happy with this monitor. Hope it helps to make a decision.

2013 Mac Pro + BenQ BL3201PT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.