Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homesharing FIX - itunes 12.1.26

HI, ive had terrible problems, like a lot of people, trying to get my itunes Library to show up on my ATV3 & Apple remote app on my iP4S & iP5S. I followed all the help on here & the web but nothing made it work reliably again as it used to. The only thing that would make the library show up on all devices was to quit iyunes then open it again. Anyway after playing around i finally came across something that didn't make sense & once i changed it the problems went away, all of them. If you are experiencing the same issues then follow what i say below & it may help you too.

1. Close itunes.

2. Open system preferences.

3. Open sharing.

4. At the top make a note of the "computer name"

5. Click on edit & check to see if the same name is displayed here. If not change it to exacly what was displayed in the pervious screen.

6. Click ok, close system preferences, open itunes & enjoy.

when i looked at this my "computer name" didn't match the name in the edit screen.

For example:

computer name = Macbook

edit screen displayed - macbook-pro.local

once i changed it so they both read macbook & macbook.local everything ran as before. No issues. 3 days later & everytime i open the remote app the computer is displayed. When i use my Apple TV i can always stream.

Good luck

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 4:54 AM

15 replies

Feb 11, 2015 7:59 AM in response to oziwan

Hi, i had a friend with the same situation. Although this fix did initially work it reverted to the same problem after a week of use. I applied another step to their machine & it has been working correctly now for 3 weeks.

1. Turn Off Wi-Fi from the Wireless menu item

2. From the OS X Finder, hit Command+Shift+G and enter the following path:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

3. Within this folder locate and select the following files:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist
com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

4. Move all of these files into a folder on your Desktop called ‘wifi backups’ or something similar – we’re backing these up just in case you break something but if you regularly backup your Mac you can just delete the files instead since you could restore from Time Machine if need be

5. Reboot the Mac

6. Turn ON WI-Fi from the wireless network menu again

This forces OS X to recreate all network configuration files. Then follow my initial procedure outlined in this post. Good luck.

Feb 11, 2015 8:02 AM in response to Rob

!To be clear the name "macbook" i have stated for the computer name is just the one i used. You can name this to anything you prefer, the main idea is that they are both the same after you have changed them. Mine wasn't & that is where the problems came from i believe.

Apr 15, 2015 12:27 PM in response to banner1124

You may have a problem with iTunes trying to route sharing traffic using IPv6 instead of IPv4. Try these steps in Windows:

1. Select Start, then type “Networking and Sharing” to search for the “Network and Sharing Center“.
  2. Choose your active network listed for “Connections“. It’s usually named “Wireless Network Connection 1″, “Wi-Fi 1″ or something similar.
  3. Click the “Properties” button.
  4. If Internet “Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” is checked, uncheck it, then click “OK“.
  5. Click “Close“.

Restart iTunes and try to use the Home Sharing feature again.

Jun 21, 2015 1:42 AM in response to Rob

Yes I now and then get the same problem. Connects then doesn't some days. Logging in and out of home share sometimes works or restarting the router or Apple TV. Quite finicky as no real answer as to what is the issue. Any way this time nothing worked, so I tried your solution.

Going into finder and noted my DEVICE name (computer name) then going into SHARING and editing the name as suggested, without writing.local after it as this did not work. I think the iMac does this itself.

Anyways it works fine now.

Thanks

Homesharing FIX - itunes 12.1.26

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.