Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari not honoring "bypass proxy settings for these hosts & domains"

I have a proxy set up for HTTP and HTTPS. The proxy runs on another machine on my network.

Safari and the latest nightly WebKit build do not honor the hosts and domains listed in "bypass proxy settings for these hosts & domains" in System Preferences.

I have "localhost" in this list and am doing some local development with a server running on my machine on port 3000. When I try to go to http://localhost:3000, I instead get an error page from my proxy, telling me that nothing is listening on that port. This makes perfect sense, since once the request gets to the proxy, localhost refers to the machine the proxy is running on, not my local desktop.

The problem here is that Safari shouldn't be sending that request to the proxy at all, but it is. Even restarting Safari doesn't work.

PowerMac G5 (rev. B, dual 2.0), Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 6, 2006 11:15 AM

1 reply

Oct 6, 2006 11:30 AM in response to Steve Madsen

Well, never mind. As it often goes, I found the answer a few minutes after posting that question, even though I've wrestled with this for days already. (Is there a "Murphy's Law"-like name for this phenomenon?)

Turns out Juniper's VPN software was adding its own Proxy Auto-Config file and turning on auto-configuration. Adding entries to the bypass list after the VPN starts does no good. Worse, when the VPN exits, it nukes the PAC file, but doesn't restore the bypass entries. Yet another reason Juniper's VPN is junk.

Safari not honoring "bypass proxy settings for these hosts & domains"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.