Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i copy the iphoto library file (not the application) to external HDD before reformatting mac pc and copy it back to the My Pictures folder after reformatting the mac pc

Hello everyone,

It's the first time I am posting for help, so please forgive me if it sounds too simple.

I basically want to reformat my Mac Mini (Late 2012 model) running on Yousemite and want to preserve my iPhoto library WITHOUT using Time Machine Backup.

The steps I would like to do is follows:

1. I will copy the iPhoto library file itself (size 74GB) to my external HDD

2. I reformat my MAC Mini, with the HDD disconnected

3. After reformatting the MAC Mini, I will connect the external HDD and copy the iPhoto library file to my "My Pictures" folder, overwriting the new iPhoto Library that will be there (I assume it will be there). This step will be done before opening the iPhoto application itself, after the reformatting the MAC Mini

So my simple question to the expert community, will I get back my original iPhoto photos post reformatting if i follow the above steps. I understand I can easily use the time Time Machine application, but would still like to try out simple copy & paste :-)

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Mustafa

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), This is my MAC MINI

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 7:21 AM

Yes you can, exactly in the manner you're describing.

two minor notes:

- there will not automatically be a new iPhoto Library. Not until you've opened iPhoto once anyway

- make sure to install the latest iPhoto updates before trying to opening your library at the end

6 replies

Jan 23, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Luis_Cifer_MAA

Make sure your external drive has the correct file system, before you move the iPhoto Library to that drive. The drive needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled, not case-sensitive).

The procedure is described here for Aperture - for iPhoto goes the same - see the link:

Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

If you need to reformat the drive, backup all documents on that drive, before you reformat it, because that will erase the drive.

I basically want to reformat my Mac Mini (Late 2012 model) running on Yousemite and want to preserve my iPhoto library WITHOUT using Time Machine Backup.

How are you planning to restore the other documents, if you reformat the drive without a Time Machine backup? Or are you using Time Machine to restore your home folder, user settings, and applications?

Jan 24, 2015 12:29 AM in response to Luis_Cifer_MAA

Thanks a lot for your help CellarDwellr & Ieonie.

CellarDweller, yes I will make sure that the latest version of iPhoto is installed before I run the iPhoto application after reformatting the Mac Mini.

To answer your question Ieonie, my external HDD is MAC OS Extended Journal formatted. As for the second part of your query, I primarily use my Mac Mini for Music, Storing pictures & watching videos. all my other activities are Browser based & heavily dependent on Cloud storage. From that perspective I am pretty safe. Furthermore, the music & video files are in the external HDD.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help guys. Have a great day!!!

Jan 24, 2015 12:47 AM in response to Luis_Cifer_MAA

As for the second part of your query, I primarily use my Mac Mini for Music, Storing pictures & watching videos. all my other activities are Browser based & heavily dependent on Cloud storage. From that perspective I am pretty safe. Furthermore, the music & video files are in the external HDD.

Great! That takes care of your documents and data. But what about your applications? Have you checked, that you have working installers for each and every application you have installed on your Mac Mini or can download the app from the AppStore? Otherwise you need a backup of the app itself and the user library and system library.

Jan 24, 2015 10:41 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the tip Leonie. Yes, I will make sure that I have installers for the application that I am currently running. As you have mentioned, most of them are available from the Apps Store. The only ones that might be a bit Problematic are the MS Office apps, anyway I don't want them as I seldom use them and these MS Office Apps are regularly Asking for update whenever I am running them. So after the reformatting I will only install application from the App Store and nothing else. Not sure if VLC Media player is available on Apps Store, but for this one I am ready to install something outside Apps Store. Thanks once again for taking the time to help me out. Have a nice day!

Can i copy the iphoto library file (not the application) to external HDD before reformatting mac pc and copy it back to the My Pictures folder after reformatting the mac pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.