Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow shift between columns in documents window

White 2006 iMac

OS 10.5.8

2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo

(2) 1 Gig memory cards

[there is 850 MB (+/-) free space running Safari and Activity Monitor]

320 GB HD

Odd 4 second (+/-) delay in Documents Window, Column Mode when moving up or down file tree - along columns left to right or right to left - as I go to a desired folder or file.

The delay does not occur when going to a location to save a file or open a file or attach a file to an email or in List Mode.

If I click on a folder and then click a different folder above or below it and then back again the next column with that folder's contents appears immediately.

I am also experiencing some Mouse issues with a Logitech M110 where I have lost some programmability - specifically using corners of the screen to show all open windows - and also am getting a double click if I do not hold down the mouse button (it is not the click speed setting).

There is also a 4 second (+/-) delay when selecting a Folder or File to change the name.

---------

Suspecting some glitch due to several power outages I ran Disk Utility Verify Disk and it had errors that could not be fixed with Repair Disk run from the start-up disk.

I erased the HD and reloaded everything. Disk Utility verifies that there are no problems.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 8:29 AM

11 replies

Jan 26, 2015 9:09 AM in response to BDAqua

------------------

Slow Shift

------------------

I am not getting an error message on Console when the slow shift is happening.

I do have approx. 150 simultaneous of the following error message:

1/26/15 10:52:34 AM com.apple.quicklook[102] Mon Jan 26 10:52:34 Macintosh.local quicklookd[102] <Error>: CGRectApplyInverseAffineTransform: singular matrix.

simultaneous = all at the same time "Jan 26 10:52:34".

Looking back this long string of simultaneous messages occurs when I turn on the computer though the number after "quicklookd[ _ ]" changes.

I got one off-line comment suggesting the Ram Cards could be doubled in capacity ... without specifically addressing how that has anything to do with the Slow Shift.

------------------

Mouse

------------------

I am also suspect of the mouse but only have one and have not been able to test it against one that should work.

Feb 2, 2015 7:46 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua,

Activity Monitor:

CPU tab:

% Usage: flux of 2 - 3.5% system with peaks up to 7 (I am not noticing spikes when sorting through folders)

CPU column - different Process' come up when I click on folder:

kextd

spotlight

update

mdworker

mDNSResponder

-------------------------

Memory:

page outs: 68.00 KB

Free memory: 250-260 MB (+/-)

Disk Usage:

Space Free: 247 GB

Please let me know what this tells you.

Thank you

Feb 3, 2015 6:04 AM in response to BDAqua

Though there are hugh duplicate lists of errors in the Console, they are not registering when the slow shift between columns occurs.

Wouldn't and error message related to the slow shift be posted when the slow shift occurs?

I found an Apple Developer site that had Console notes. They were over my head.

Is there a site you recommend to load error messages for translation?

Feb 3, 2015 12:47 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua,

"Crash" Logs? I find something called Crash Reports. Are those what you refer to?

Another Clue:

I was moving and renaming a File from one Folder to another. The File moved to the new Folder while its image stayed in the original Folder.

While renaming the File in the moved-to location the File name in the original Folder location opens and the relocated File name disappears. Experimenting I could change the name of the "Moved File" as it sat in the original Folder but as soon as the System got the file moved "completely" across to the new Folder the unmodified Filename reappears.

I do not understand it.

It appears that there is an operation taking place in the Finder window, that illustrates available Folders and Files. This operation does not take place in an Open or Choose Window.

Could this be hardware damage?

Feb 3, 2015 2:04 PM in response to thom2b

"Crash" Logs? I find something called Crash Reports. Are those what you refer to?

Yes, and System log for date & time of problem can help also.

I think the file rename problem has the same exact cause as the original problem, possibly Disk problem.

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & trash/rebuild cache files

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed. Or an errant process eating up RAM.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Feb 14, 2015 4:19 PM in response to thom2b

A solution.

Leaving expletives aside ...

after erasing and reinstalling my HD and running Utilities to Repair Permissions and and taking the machine to someone to Repair Directories ...

which might have contributed to resolving other problems I was having, did not solve the slow shift between columns in the documents window ...

I tried a different wording search in Google: "imac finder running slow"

and got this:

http://myeyez.net/finder-slow-to-load-files-on-mac-osx/

Set the mouse double-click speed to HIGH. Test the finder speed opening folders - "list population" (I like that description).

Then you might set the mouse double-click speed back down. In my case the slower I set the mouse clicks the slower the list population loads.

With a two button mouse I can get past a super high double-click speed by using the Open option.

slow shift between columns in documents window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.