Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move my iPhoto library to my Time Capsule?

I have very little memory available on my Macbook Pro. (The start up disk is full) The vast majority of the memory is taken up with photos. How can I use my time capsule to free up some of my memory? Can I move my iPhoto library to my Time Machine? The Time Capsule is backing up both our Macbook Pro and Mac. Many of the photos pre-date PhotoStream and are currently not available on our Mac.

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 12:55 PM

3 replies

Jan 23, 2015 1:15 PM in response to pkschief

Can I move my iPhoto library to my Time Machine? The Time Capsule is backing up both our Macbook Pro and Mac.

If you move the iPhoto Library to your Time Machine volume, then Time Machine cannot back up your iPhoto library. That is very risky, because you will have no backup of your photos at all. Sooner or later you will lose your photos.

And if your Time Capsule is not locally mounted but connected as a network share, you cannot store your iPhoto library there at all. An iPhoto Library needs to be stored on a locally mounted volume, see this support document:

Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

The document has been written for Aperture, but iPhoto and Aperture are using the same libraries, so it is valid for iPhoto as well.

Can I move my iPhoto library to my Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.