Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3 can't connect to shared iTunes library

My Apple TV 3 says it can't connect to my iTunes library, which is stored on my 2014 MacBook Pro. I've had this working without fault until I bought an Airport Extreme.

Here's what I've checked:

• Devices are all connected to the network via Wi-Fi (guest network isn't enabled, nor is separate 5 GHz network). I've tried re-starting the router.
  • Sharing is turned on in iTunes preferences. I've tried turning it off and back on again.
  • Checked firewall settings on the MacBook, and tried turning it off.
  • The Apple TV is connecting to the internet, and can access iTunes, Netflix, etc.
  • AirPlay from the MacBook works fine.
  • OS and software is up-to-date on all devices.
  • Tried accessing the library from my iPhone 6. This doesn't work either.

I'm thinking it's an issue with the Airport Extreme since that's the only thing that's changed recently. It's in DHCP and NAT mode, connected to my ISP-provided modem/router set to modem-only mode.

Any ideas?

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 7.0.2, null

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 3:16 AM

36 replies

Jan 30, 2015 8:07 AM in response to JansVanGild

Hi,

maybe this might help:

"Changing the name of the computer in the Sharing preferences sorted the problem for me too."

Re: Apple TV cannot connect to iTunes library on MacBook Pro after upgrade to Yosemite/iTunes 12

It solved the issues that ocurred twith Yosemite and were not solved with the 10.10.2 update. I only changed the name in the Sharing Prefs and immediately had access from my ATV to the Macs iTunes library again. No new iTunes library, router restart etc. I have an ATV2 and MBP mid 2010.

Additionally I could not reply to your post using "Safari" but had to switch to Firefox, interesting ... a feature?

Good luck,

eric

Jan 30, 2015 6:09 PM in response to JansVanGild

Changing the name of the computer worked for me as well - hooray!!!

I have a MacBook Pro, MacMini and an iPhone. I could mirror from all the devices to the Apple TV and the Apple TV could "see" the libraries on the MacBook Pro and MacMini but would not connect. I had tried all other troubleshooting options - network, updates, disabling IPV6, rebooting, restoring and was on the phone to Apple for an hour - no joy.

I saw this post and hey presto it all works. I tried changing the name of the library on the MacMini but it didn't work until I changed the name of the computer.

Thank you. You have restored my sanity.

Feb 18, 2015 2:44 PM in response to JansVanGild

dealing with this aggravation for 2 months to no avail

what a pain to change the name of your computer in "sharing" multiple times a day when you want to access your itunes library to use airplay/homesharing..

got a new Extreme; and that did NOTHING! can't believe apple hasn't come out with a fix yet!

a lot of senior advisers aren't even aware of this issue!!

GRRRRR

Feb 19, 2015 3:02 AM in response to Eric Martens1

It started right after the Update. I had done everything mentioned from resetting the apple TV to checking the firewall, turning home sharing off and on, restarting both iMac and Apple TV. I renamed the Name of the computer in sharing preferences and restarted both Apple TV and iTunes and kept my fingers crossed, but it didn't work.

I think I have isolated the problem to Airport Extreme, but I can't be 100% sure. Any other ideas?

Feb 19, 2015 10:38 AM in response to rob kaplan

I have considered putting the Router NVG589 in bridge mode, and use my Airport as the Wireless DHCP router. Just need to leave enough IP's for the TV's and UVerse that will not work with the Airport Extreme. Here is a link to do that, but it looks like a pain.

Here is a link I found at DSL Reports about bridging a Motorola NVG589. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734

Feb 19, 2015 12:39 PM in response to rob kaplan

I have been UVerse for several years and didn't have any problems until the latest update to iTunes, or Yosemite. I am a software Test engineer, so I tried different variables and what is odd that my Apple TV can actually see my iTune Library on my MacBook Pro (2010) which has the same OSX and updates and the same version of iTunes. But not on My new 2014 iMac with the same OSX and updates. That pretty much throws all my previous theories out the window!!

I can't find a common variable that could be the cause, other than some odd ball configuration on one and not the other which is hard to pin point.

Apple TV 3 can't connect to shared iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.