Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have changed my Apple ID password but my MacBook Air won't recognise it. Help!

Hello I updated my Apple ID and password on my IPad but now my MacBook Air won't recognise either my old or new password so I'm locked out.

MacBook Air, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 1:40 PM

I'm trying to figure out what you are doing. I have an apple id and I can use it on any computer. It's the same one I use here in this site or the app store or Itunes. The only thing I've found is that in Itunes, you have to authorize each computer or Iphone or Ipad to use it, up to 5 devises. This may be true in face time as well Check this out.http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201251

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2015 1:40 PM in response to OzzieOsborne

I'm trying to figure out what you are doing. I have an apple id and I can use it on any computer. It's the same one I use here in this site or the app store or Itunes. The only thing I've found is that in Itunes, you have to authorize each computer or Iphone or Ipad to use it, up to 5 devises. This may be true in face time as well Check this out.http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201251

Jan 24, 2015 11:50 PM in response to my ginger

Hi

thanks for reply but that's not it. I bought a MacBook Air, was fine in shop but I had to create a new Apple ID (don't know why) and then created a password. All fine. I then get a message yesterday telling me that my Apple ID has been used on the MacBook Air to enter iMessage and FaceTime - I haven't been near either application on the new MacBook so panicked a little. I then changed my Apple ID password (the new ID). I now seem to be locked out of my old Apple ID, it won't let me change the password - says my birthday is incorrect! And now my new password for the new ID isn't recognised on the MacBook so am locked out of that as well. Right now I am VERY frustrated with Apple 😟

Oct 6, 2015 3:47 PM in response to OzzieOsborne

I had the same problem but mine was even worse: my old apple ID was linked to the e-mail that is defunct.

Solution:

1. Log in to My Apple ID https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage

2. Click Edit next to your primary email address and change it back to the old one.

3. It will ask you to verify your new(old) email address. You can ignore this step (if the old email is defunct you have to ignore it anyway)

4. Log into your Macbook with the old password. If you don't remember the old password you should reset it in MyApple ID at this point. In that case you need to complete step 3 and if your email is defunct you may be screwed. Luckily I remembered my old pwd.

5. Once you log in go to Settings -> iCloud and sign out of your current (old) account (this will ask you a bunch of questions about deleting local copies on your Mac - it is safe to do so because you will relink these once you have a new account).

6. Under iCloud, create a new account using new email and update which apps you want to sync through iCloud

I highly recommend that you go to Settings -> Users&Groups and unlink your MacBook login password from the iCloud pasword so that this doesn't happen again .

I hope that helps!

I have changed my Apple ID password but my MacBook Air won't recognise it. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.