Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with VoLTE on SIM-Free iPhone 6 on AT&T

I have noticed that AT&T does not appear to support VoLTE calls on the new SIM-free iPhone 6 (A1586). I have a Verizon iPhone 6 (A1549) and just bought the new SIM-free iPhone 6. I can insert my Verizon SIM card into either phone and make calls over VoLTE. Similarly, I can insert my AT&T SIM card into my Verizon iPhone 6 (A1549) and make calls over VoLTE, but if I insert the SIM into the SIM-free iPhone 6, calls on AT&T drop down to 4G. I checked the LTE settings on the phone, and even had a support chat with AT&T where they confirmed that VoLTE was active on my account when the SIM was inside the A1586 model, but for whatever reason calls would always drop down to 4G.

Has anyone been able to resolve this, or is this an issue on AT&T's side?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 9:43 AM

9 replies

May 26, 2015 7:03 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for responding, Mr Finch, but no that's not the issue.

1. This isn't an early iPhone 6: I bought it less than a month ago on May 10 from the Apple Store directly and it came with no SIM at all since it is the unlocked, SIM-free version
  2. AT&T's rules on VoLTE-compatible SIMs are well-documented on their support site, and the SIM they gave me at the AT&T store when I took my unlocked SIM-free iPhone to them conforms to these rules (there are two digits -- the 8th and 9th I think? -- that have to be specific numbers)
  3. AT&T tried replacing my SIM anyway on Sunday, without effect.

My issue (and probably that of the original poster) has to do with AT&T's provisioning, not the SIM. When Apple first came out with the SIM-free unlocked model, which is a1586 (the model that was originally only sold domestically as a locked Sprint phone, as opposed to a1549, which was sold from day one for AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile), everybody who bought it reported problems with VoLTE on AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. That was in January.

By March, I started seeing people saying that they had got AT&T (or Verizon or whoever) to finally admit that a1586 is capable of VoLTE on their systems and provisioning their accounts. Unfortunately, naturally, none of those people have posted their case #s on line, so I can't cite them when speaking to AT&T customer support. So far none of those who have had their accounts successfully provisioned have responded to my requests for information either as yet.

All of these people have said that it took them a while to get to the highest level of AT&T (or Verizon, etc.) tech support ("Tier 3") and only then were they able to speak with someone who had the correct access level to override the system and enable VoLTE in their accounts. This is all because Apple sold the a1549 model for those three carriers initially, but the unlocked one is a different model.

Issues with VoLTE on SIM-Free iPhone 6 on AT&T

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.