Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to get our of a continuous cycle when trying to update or restore my iPad 2. Plug in to iTunes 12.0.1 (latest version). Click update, told can't update, have to restore. Restore fails with error 9. Any help appreciated.

When I tried to update my iPad I got an error 9. Now, I am unable to access my iPad. It is in a continuous cycle when I try to update or restore the iPad 2. Plug in to iTunes 12.0.1 (latest version). Click update, told can't update, have to restore. Restore fails with error 9. Any help appreciated.

Here's the cycle:

I plug in my iPad when “cable to iTunes shows on iPad screen. It says "Your iPad can't be updated, you must restore it to factory settings." That bad enough news, but it gets worse.

Click Restore

Extracting software…

Preparing iPad for restore

Waiting for iPad…

Verifying iPad restore with Apple…

(empty bar under the Apple logo…does not show any activity)

“The iPad “iPad” could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9).”

Notes: I just upgraded to OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 on my iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) in the last week. It’s the first time I’m tried to backup/update my iPad since the iMac update.

I swapped out the USB cable to a new cable and get the same results.

I also unplugged all other USB devices from the iMac and security on my iPad and still get the same results.

I find it strange that it shows no Serial number for my my iPad 2 when plugged in. It shows “Serial Number: n/a on the screen when it displays: “iPad Recovery Mode To update your iPad without erasing its contents, click Update. To restore your iPad to its factory settings, click Restore iPad.

I prefer to update my iPad, but it displays “Your iPad can’t be updated, you must restore it to factory settings. If you previously backed up the iPad, click Restore Backup after the restore process completes.”

It’s a continuous loop. I get the display on my iPad to plug in the iPad to iTunes, plug it in which ends after going through the above procedure saying an error occurred (9).

So now I cannot use my iPad. When I turn it on I get the display showing me to plug it into iTunes with the cable. Since this is the only option I have I plug it in and the loop begins.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 12:01 PM

1 reply

Jan 26, 2015 7:52 AM in response to jaybearden

Hello jaybearden,

Thanks for the question. After reviewing your post, it sounds like you are not able to restore the iOS device since you get an error 9. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Resolve iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Check your security software

Related errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1000, 1611, 9006. Sometimes security software can prevent your device from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your device.

Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't preventing a connection to the Apple servers.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a nice day,

Mario

I am unable to get our of a continuous cycle when trying to update or restore my iPad 2. Plug in to iTunes 12.0.1 (latest version). Click update, told can't update, have to restore. Restore fails with error 9. Any help appreciated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.