Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

re-installing Mavericks onto an external drive on my Yosemite iMac

I want to create a startup drive that will run a program which runs OK on Mavericks but is not yet adapted to run on Yosemite. I have a spare empty 500 GB USB hard drive. I have Mavericks as a Purchased item in my App Store list of purchases.

When i did Download for the Mavericks, I got a message at the end that said this download was too old to be run under Yosemite. What's my next move?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 27", 14,2 i5 3,2 GHz

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 4:27 PM

11 replies

Jan 24, 2015 4:49 PM in response to bobgoldstein

This is what I get from the App Store while in Yosemite when I click Download for Mavericks. Clicking Continue started the download. Maybe the difference is I have Yosemite downloaded (see screen shot) and sitting in my /Applications folder. So, maybe Yosemite needs to be downloaded first. If so, that's pretty silly.

User uploaded file

Jan 24, 2015 5:07 PM in response to keg55

I may have gotten that message also, but I wanted to continue and did. Then after 20 minutes and 5.5 GB of downloading, I got that message that the download was too old to run under Yosemite.

Maybe that's true: with my system running Yosemite, maybe that downloaded install cannot be run. So does that mean there's no way back for me, and i have to give up on running that older program?

Jan 25, 2015 5:29 AM in response to bobgoldstein

bobgoldstein wrote:

Maybe that's true: with my system running Yosemite, maybe that downloaded install cannot be run. So does that mean there's no way back for me, and i have to give up on running that older program?

Did you keep the Install OS X Mavericks.app file from the download that's in your /Applications folder? If so, you could try creating a USB thumb drive installer, restart using the Option key, select the USB external installer; then if it starts the install point to the external drive you want to install it on.

Jan 25, 2015 7:40 AM in response to bobgoldstein

You don't want to boot your computer off of Mavericks since it came with Yosemite.

Install OSX Restrictions

Try running Snow Leopard Server in a virtual machine. If you call the number below and are told it is no longer available, either ask to speak to someone else to try again later.

Parallels

VirtualBox

VM Fusion

Snow Leopard server for use with the above. Call 1-800-692-7753 and order part number MC588Z/A. Cost is $19.99 + sales tax and shipping.

Virtual Machine for 10.7/10.8

Jan 28, 2015 9:18 PM in response to bobgoldstein

Ok, here's what happened. I did the createinstallmedia operation, putting the Mavericks install onto an 8 GB thumb drive. Then I booted up with that drive and installed Mavericks on a spare empty USB hard drive. I then used System prefs to specify that as my startup drive, and it worked fine. I was able to run this obsolete program that will not run under Yosemite and changed back to Yosemite by starting up again with my internal HD as the startup drive.

Thanks to one and all- I could never have done this without all the help you gave me.

BTW, the program I needed to run was a firmware updater for my main camera. It ran just fine under Mavericks.

re-installing Mavericks onto an external drive on my Yosemite iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.