Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook A1297 won't turn on

HI everyone, I'm trying to fix moms macbook Pro A1297 2010 model . Was working fine and then one day it wouldn't turn on. I've tried the basics that I could do so far , here's what I've done and found out .

1. With the charger in ( glowing green) I push the power button and I can hear/ feel things spinning . The light on the front right facing panel glows white . And every so often fades out and back on .

2. I Removed one of the rams ( and the other ) and tried each one in the other slot . When I turned it on with no ram in it I got the beeping alarm going on and off.

3. If I hold the power button down til I hear/ feel it shut down , then hold "shift, control, option and the power button together , I get the green light on the " caps lock " button light up .

4 . If I unplug the charger , hold the power button for 10 seconds , keep,holding the power button and plug the charger back in , release and push power the fans kick in at Mach 1 speed like a jet taking off , run for 20-30 seconds then shut down, then turn on and run then turn off..

5. Tried the SMC reset and PRAM reset and still nothing .

Anything else I can try or does anyone have a idea

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 9:35 AM

Could it be the logic board ? Or motherboard ? 😢

8 replies

Jan 25, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Leeboy2020

" The light on the front right facing panel glows white . And every so often fades out and back on ."

So when it's doing that it's asleep.

So still could be an SMC malfunction.

Can you take the bottom off and disconnect the battery? That's the equivalent of the old SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

" Shut down the computer.

1. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer."

People have had luck doing this but waiting 5 minutes not 5 seconds.

Jan 25, 2015 1:05 PM in response to spudnuty

So I gave it another shot. Pulled the battery clip , held the power for a minute , let it sit for 10 mins, reconnected everything and powered on , but same thing. Just fans . What I noticed now, is the fans and front white light are on for 30 seconds, shut off for 5-10 seconds then turn back on for another 30 . If I unplug the mag charger , I can shut it off. With the charger in , I can't shut it off . 😕

Jan 25, 2015 2:46 PM in response to Leeboy2020

Leeboy2020,

The 2010 15" had a widely known issue with this problem, I believe the extended warranty has expired on the replacement of the logic board, (which is the fix) See the following link, as it sounds as though it may apply to your situation.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) intermittent black screen or loss of video Quality Program has ended - Apple Support

Take the MBP to an Apple Genius bar for an evaluation, which should be free, ask to speak with a manager to see if they may be willing to repair the issue. If no joy, see if they will be willing to do a "Depot Repair" which is a flat rate. This is considerably less money than outright buying the repair. Depot repair costs about $310.00, last I knew the logic board part was $478.00 or so, and a labor cost of around $65.00.

It sure won't hurt to ask, and the diagnosis is free.

I wish you the best of luck on this.

Jan 25, 2015 3:42 PM in response to sanjampet

thanks Sanj , I did read this , not sure if it's worth trying , I might make matters worse
What seems to have resolved it was this; plugged in the AC power, turned on the computer, closed it, turned it over, then put a folded-up quilt on top of it, and went downstairs and watched Pineapple Express. When I came back to it, I opened it, unplugged it, then turned it off. The power button was extremely hot and the fan was blowing very high. I held it in front of a fan and about a minute later pressed the power button and it booted up like normal.
Link found herehttps://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/9045/MBP+A1226+Logic+Board+last+resort+fix+f or+nVidia+video+chip

Feb 2, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Leeboy2020

Hi, so there is a link posted above MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) intermittent black screen or loss of video Quality Program has ended - Apple Support , when I click this link , it doesn't give the date this warranty stopped , but it does say last updated Dec 2014 . Mom had taken the macbook to a appke repair center " simply computers " in our town . She took it back in November , and wasn't made aware of the recall or repair that ended in December, she was just given a $900 estimite. My question , shouldn't the repair Center have notified her about this, or is it up to the consumer to do their homework ? Just looking for advice before I call apple. The repair center also left the battery disconnected on her also when I opened up the back . Thanks for any advice

Macbook A1297 won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.