Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It's old but my favorite Power Mac G5 OSX 10.5.8

How can i get and use iCloud for my Power Mac G5 OSx 10.5.8 ? Since Mobile Me no longer exist now my system needs access to Mobile Me in order for the DVD drive to operate.

To date what resources I have keeps telling me that since my G5 Apple is so old that I will not be able to gain control of my DVD unit in my Apple Power Mac G5.

I brought out my old G5 out of storage, it's been over five years since I last used it. Past five years have been using a PC computer with windows 8.1 on it because of the amount of problems I decided to get my old Apple computer out. The problem is my Apple computer a G5, dual processor is the old Apple processor it is not an Intel processor. The fact that I really hate Microsoft operating systems. I assume that because everyone is or has gone to Intel processor's this means that Apple has decided to forget all those Apple Power Mac's out there. To bad because of this my next new computer will not be an Apple.

Reason Apple with intel based processors use software to per say settle down the Apple computer. The program a couple of them do allow the Newer Apple desk top Pro's to run Microsoft Windows, but keep in mind when ever a computer use's a software program to simulate so that your computer can use Microsoft windows that software program really restricts Apple. Again your Apple powermac doesn't use windows directly. These day's everything' based on a computer that uses Intel Processor's. Apple's user's can not download any files, games or what ever on their Old Apple computer.

Again my Apple pro is not an intel based machine, so now what it sound like I'd better off. NO!!!!!. Nobody tells me I can't use any apple book on there operating.

Now am I stuck with an old G5 unit least till x-number of years

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 6:04 PM

5 replies

Oct 25, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Babb1952

Im trying to upload my film from the G5 I created it in to icloud. If this is impossible i'm REALLY angry. I guess only those with money to upgrade can utilize icloud. I dont want to upload it from my never PC because its not ON THE PC ! It was made in the G 5 mac on Final Cut Pro.

Im really really frustrated. Its too large a file to put on an external drive too as its 28 GB. Ugh.

Oct 29, 2015 4:20 PM in response to camsterr

Your movie would easily fit on any large capacity external hard drive made today and even it would fit on USB flash drives that are 32 GB or larger in size.

You can purchase external drives now that are, at least 128 GBs in size all the way up to 6 TBs in storage size.

How long has it been since you needed an external hard drive? You should have a reliable external hard drive to use as a backup drive.

Oct 29, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Babb1952

Apple moved on to Intel Processor Macs way back in 2006.

So, the PowerMac line has been retired for almost 10 years, now.

I moved on from my 2003 PowerMac G4 back in 2011.

I plan on having my 2009 Intel iMac for, at least, another 8-10 years.

You might want to reconsider your position on Apple and Apple computers and devices.

Apple is still cranking out great versions of OS X and many older Intel processor based Macs run the latest OS X versions pretty well.

Apple OS X 10.11 El Capitán supports Intel Macs all the way back to 2007.

Technology will always keep moving forward.

Your issues with Microsoft is the Windows operating system, NOT the CPU and hardware that drives the software.

OS X is still the same as it has always been. A very secure and rock solid operating system.

It's old but my favorite Power Mac G5 OSX 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.