You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off shared payment in family sharing

I like the idea of being able to share my purchases with family members, but I have no desire of sharing my debit card details with family. When I turned on family sharing, my sister went to buy TV shows, and instead of it being charged to her, it was charged to me!!! I don't want to be charged for something without any knowledge of it happening. My sister was able to charge my debit card without even a message being sent to me, asking if I allowed it. I found out through a receipt being sent out to me after two days. This is absolutely horrible Apple!

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 1:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 9:47 PM

Apple you need to update the family plan, so that there can be multiple payment methods

6 replies

Jan 25, 2015 4:01 AM in response to QuantumJG

This is how family sharing works: read https://www.apple.com/uk/icloud/family-sharing/"Family Sharing makes it easy for up to six people in your family to share each other’s iTunes, iBooks and App Store purchases without sharing accounts. Pay for family purchases with the same credit card and approve kids’ spending from a parent’s device. And share photos, a family calendar and more to help keep everyone connected."

Sep 6, 2015 12:00 AM in response to QuantumJG

I have the same problem as like all the features apart from shared payment. It would be a shame to have to turn it off for this reason. Shared photos, find friends and shared calendars are all really useful, but with my family being me, my wife and my 14yo kid, we all have our own payment methods and don't need to share this.

I hope Apple make this simple feature available. It seems like a bit of an oversight to make it 'all or nothing' when some features are really useful.

Oct 22, 2015 1:58 PM in response to QuantumJG

I have the same problem:

My daughter gets her allowance on a pre-paid debt card. We live in a very rural area and most shopping is done online anyway. This teaches her financial responsibility as well as not bothering us if she wants to buy music, games, or in-app purchases with her allowance. I understand if not sharing payment methods means not sharing music etc and I'm ok with it (my wife and I don't listen to her music anyway). I would really like her on the family calendar, photo album, etc.

Turn off shared payment in family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.