Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Mac mini 2.0 os Leopard 10.5.8. I need to update to OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 snow Leopard. Do i have to buy a new os disc?

Hello. I recently received a message from Dropbox telling me my old computer is too old!

I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.

Do I just need to buy a new disc and install? Can it be done over the internet? Should I just buy a new mac? Is it worth the hassle?

OR can it be done any other way?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 4:26 AM

3 replies

Jan 25, 2015 4:43 AM in response to Kenster65

The Mac Mini 2 from 2007 has an Intel Core Duo processor; you should confirm this from the 'About My Mac' choice in the Apple Menu. This can be upgraded to Snow Leopard or Lion. Both are available in the Online Apple Store, Snow Leopard on install disks, Lion as a code to use in the Mac App Store application (but you will have to install Snow Leopard first to get this).

Snow Leopard is a good system but is no longer getting security updates and a number of applications won't work on it. Lion is less satisfactory though more up to date. You should note that if you have any PPC programs such as AppleWorks they won't run on Lion or any system later than that (nor of course on any new computer you buy) other than by emulation such as in Parallels.

If you can run to an up to date Mac, particularly one using a fusion or SSD drive, you will see a startling improvement in speed, but you may have to upgrade some of your applications and as said the PPC ones won't work.

Jan 25, 2015 4:42 AM in response to Kenster65

Hi. to upgrade to Snow leopard, you need to order the OS CD: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

If your Mac works fine, there's no use in buying a new one.

"Is it worth the hassle?": it's not a big hassle: 20$, wait 3 days for the CD to arrive. put the CD in the Mac, select install and in 15 min you'll have an updated OS. It's less hassle than migrating all your data to your new Mac.

Thanks For using the Apple Support Community

All the best

James

I have a Mac mini 2.0 os Leopard 10.5.8. I need to update to OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 snow Leopard. Do i have to buy a new os disc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.