Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer pictures from a hard drive that has an older version of iPhoto?

My old mac broke, so they removed the hard drive and put it in a case for me, and I bought a new MacBook Pro. I thought it would be as simple as plugging in my old hard drive so I could see all my old photos, but when I try to do so, it says that the version is not supported on this computer. It tells me to update the latest version of iPhoto, but when I go to do that, it says I already have it. I have tried with a different hard drive as well that I used as my back up disk and it does the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Its so many years of my life, my wedding, my son's photos since birthday that I'm scared I cannot retrieve!

Thank you!

Leah

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 2:10 AM

1 reply

Jan 25, 2015 2:26 AM in response to thomasmorrow

Before you proceed, make a backup copy of your iPhoto library, if you do not have a current backup.

Which version of iPhoto do you have? You may need an upgrade to a major new release, and not just an update.

With Yosemite you need to run iPhoto 9.6. A new computer should have iPhoto 9.6 installed. Is that what you are seeing in your Applications folder?

User uploaded file

If you are having iPhoto 9.6 installed, double click it in the Applications folder to launch it, while holding down the alt/options key to select your iPhoto library.

When iPhoto launches, it should you prompt, that the iPhoto Library needs upgrading to a new format. Click upgrade, and let it run. It may need some time to finish.

Which was your previous iPhoto version? If it was iPhoto 7 or older, you need to run the iPhoto Library upgrader first. Download, and install it from here: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

After you installed it, don't forget to run it. It will be installed in Applications > Utilities.

How do I transfer pictures from a hard drive that has an older version of iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.