Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 4,1 (mid 2010) - Hardware test unavailable

Hello,

I have tried to run the hardware test on my mid 2010 Mac Mini following various instructions found on the internet:

- restart the computer whilst holding the D key => the mac starts as normal, no hardware test mode

- restart the computer whilst holding the option and D keys => the test seems to start, I select the language then it says the firmware update is unavailable for my machine and gives me the option to restart or shut down

- update EFI firmware (Mac mini (Mid 2010) EFI Firmware Update 1.5) but the installation of it fails as my mac says that this software is not supported by the system

Any suggestions please?

Thank you!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 3:35 AM

8 replies

Jan 26, 2015 4:52 AM in response to johannfromlondon

Both the model number of your Mac mini that you have provided and the current firmware version you have also provided indicate this new firmware upgrade should be valid for your Mac mini.

The one thing I can see that might be an issue is that according to your message post you are currently running OS X 10.10.1. This firmware update was originally released when OS X 10.7.2 was the current version and it may not work under newer versions including 10.10.1.

You could therefore try considering setting up a separate boot drive with OS X 10.7.5 on it aka. Lion. Then run the firmware update from that.

Mac Mini 4,1 (mid 2010) - Hardware test unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.