Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant XP sec pack 3 version 2002 to Mac?

I would like to use migration assistant for Window XP version 2002 security pack 3 to OS X Yosemite. I can make the connection ok, but the transfer consistently fails at onset. Is this windows XP 2002 version just too outdated, or could it be another problem? Thanks for any advice.

iMac, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 3:11 AM

7 replies

Jan 25, 2015 6:47 AM in response to Barney-15E

I do need to do this wireless as I do not have a thunderbolt adaptor.

Otherwise, I really did look into everything possible - did all the rechecks 3 times around -no firewall, no anti-virus, nothing to stand in the way - pc checks clean...

After a night's sleep, today is even more hopeless, yesterday I got as far as having a number on both screens, now before the connection has a chance (while the mac still looks for the pc), the migration program in the pc freezes up with the notice "an error occurred while preparing your information for transfer". I've tried starting up the Mac MigAss first, the pc first, the two as simultaneously as possible. I've cleaned, removed and reinstalled the MigAss on the pc several times. No results to the better.

Apple promises that this should work, but I've found a couple other comments to the same effect. Is a cable really the answer? (Outside of the money the adapter costs, I don't need it for anything else.) It doesn't seem likely...but? After several hours in vain, I really would like to know if I'm wasting my time.

Jan 25, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Phingari

Phingari wrote:

Sorry I should have been more precise - the Mac is a new Macbook portable.

Even more precisely, a Macbook Air, as it is the only portable without Ethernet.

Trying another method was my only idea as it could be interference in the WiFi signal that is causing the problem. It may not be and a cable won't help, so I don't think it would be worth buying a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor.

I would just get an external drive and move your documents and stuff over manually.

I don't know how to move the contacts, calendar, etc. over that way.

Migration Assistant XP sec pack 3 version 2002 to Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.