Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote App Missing AirPlay

Last night I tried stream music from my main iTunes library to my apple TV using the remote app. When I selected my main itunes library from the "Devices" list. Then selected a song. Here's where it got wired, the ability to select AirPlay in the bottom right corner is missing. Only option is "More..." which does NOT contain the ability to AirPlay.

How do I stream music from my main iTunes library to apple TV via the remote app?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers Apple Community!

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 6:54 AM

4 replies

Jan 25, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Winston Churchill

The weird thing is the icon is not there. It used to be. See attached image.

You mentioned it's a bit of a backwards way to stream music, could you share with me a different way? Here's my set up, I have a MacPro that contains all music and movies, which in turn makes it my master iTunes library. All devices in my home pull from it. If there's a better way to manage this, please enlighten me! I'm open to learning new ways to manage media.

The previous version of remote worked much better...you had the ability to select the Apple TV in devices, then select a shared iTunes library. It took a while for the library to load up, but once it did you pulled from that library. Where now it's backwards, you actually control iTunes and rebroadcast it to an AppleTV. Now the iTunes library and AppleTV have to be playing the same thing. Where before they could be independent.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!!!

User uploaded file

Jan 25, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Sofa-King

could you share with me a different way?
The previous version of remote worked much better...you had the ability to select the Apple TV in devices, then select a shared iTunes library.

That is the different way and the way I would suggest you did it. I assume you are saying that no longer works for you, it should and suspect that's also likely to be the reason you don't see the AirPlay icon.

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > Wifi, on the mobile device and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your mobile device.

Jul 27, 2015 2:06 AM in response to Sofa-King

I Used this to stream from my computer to either my Apple TV or to my Airport Express (to my home sound system). Controlled it all from remote app.

airplay is now missing from remote app. at first, the choices were there, but I could no longer select any devuce beyond computer. I reinstalled remote app and now AirPlay is missing entirely. Seems to be issue with remote app.

Remote App Missing AirPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.