Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.4.8 M-Audio Firewire Audiophile problems

My M-Audio Firewire Audiophile does not work since I upgraded to 10.4.8. I am getting quite annoyed about Apple's claim to work straight out of the box, that silly little advert you can download. It is not true anymore. It did under power PC but you've gone badly wrong Apple since you moved to Intel.

As a musician I choose Apple not to have to deal with these issues, sort it out quickly or I'll be going to Windows because it is cheaper. I spend the extra $ so that I don't have to deal with these problems.

iMac 20 inch 2ghz x 2, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 6, 2006 3:37 PM

13 replies

Oct 6, 2006 4:44 PM in response to MrZiffer

I had a quick look at the driver pages for the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. It appears that they have published new drivers for every single revision of Mac OS X for quite a while. The last one was for 10.4.7 at the end of September '06 about 3 months after 10.4.7 was released.

This suggests that the device must be working with very low level stuff in OS X that is prone to change and M-Audio need to engineer for each release because of this.

I don't know if it is possible to go back to 10.4.7 but if your issue is driver related, that might be the best course of action.

I hope that is of some help.

Oct 7, 2006 2:01 AM in response to MrZiffer

Thanks for the advice guys.

The problem is that when I switch on my Audiophile - it just goes into panic mode. All the lights flash on the unit.

I've put a note out to M-Audio technical support. They say that they do not support 10.3.8 yet!

This puts users between a rock and a hard place. How can we trust Apple? It will be hard to go back to 10.4.7 as I will have to reinstall tiger which will take be back to 10.4.4 which was also full of bugs and glitches! If I do a software update it will take me back to 10.4.8!

Anyway I appreciate you taking the time to look into my troubles!!

Oct 7, 2006 8:12 AM in response to MrZiffer

hi,
as an audio pro I can tell you that happens very often. That's why be shure you have new drivers for fw-interfaces &c BEFORE you update you system.
You don't need to update everytime a new system is released by Apple.
Never touch a running system. Every system update is a risk especially if the old system is running ok.
I think m-audio doesn't need more than 2-3 weeks to write new drivers for 10. 4.8.

Oct 7, 2006 2:57 PM in response to MrZiffer

Two things, the first probably not very helpful and the second certainly not 🙂

- first I suppose you're using the latest m-audio driver ? (that is 10.4.7 for now of course...)

(saying that because not long ago the drivers I was using for my fast track pro were only certified up to 10.4.6, although working perfectly with 10.4.7 as well...)

- second is just some thanks to make me think NOT to upgrade to 10.4.8 my macbook before a few weeks, so as I won't get into trouble with the fast track pro I own...

phjo

Oct 8, 2006 2:43 AM in response to phjo

Two things, the first probably not very helpful and
the second certainly not 🙂

- first I suppose you're using the latest m-audio
driver ? (that is 10.4.7 for now of course...)

(saying that because not long ago the drivers I was
using for my fast track pro were only certified up to
10.4.6, although working perfectly with 10.4.7 as
well...)

- second is just some thanks to make me think NOT to
upgrade to 10.4.8 my macbook before a few weeks, so
as I won't get into trouble with the fast track pro I
own...

phjo

Hi, thanks for the advice.

I've got the 10.4.7 M-Audio dirver installed. Had a note from M-Audio tech. support, they said that they did not support 10.4.8, I hope it won't be long before they issue an update. I'm just wondering if there is anyway to go back to 10.4.7 in the mean time? I will be giving the apple helpdesk a call tomorrow as I am still within the 90 days free support .... just!

I think it is good advice not to upgrade until the 3rd party has updated their drivers. It is a sorry state of affair when you have to do this mind. Apple really should test their release so that it is backwards compatable at least with the latest version of released drivers. I would think that the M-Audio driver is a fairly common driver. At the moment my £2k investment in Apple is sitting idle.

Cheers

Oct 8, 2006 7:50 AM in response to MrZiffer

My FireWire Audiophile works quite fine with the latest driver and OS 10.4.8.

The catch is that the new driver also includes a firmware update, and that doesn't seem to have taken place on your device.

To fix the problem:
1. Power off the FW Audiophile.
2. Uninstall the drivers using the Uninstaller that comes inside the driver disk image.
3. Restart the iMac.
4. Re-install the drivers.
5. Shut down the iMac (important)!
6. Power on the FW Audiophile.
7. Power on the iMac and login using an administrative account.

You should see a small firmware updater window in the lower left of your screen. About 30 seconds after the update is finished, the FW Audiophile will boot normally.

Oct 8, 2006 9:58 AM in response to MrZiffer

"Apple really should test their release so that it is backwards compatable at least with the latest version of released drivers."

How could they test their updates with a million drivers and devices?
As always in the past Apple gives pre-releases and builts of their upcomming system to all their developers in order to prepare them for the new version.

This all happens months before the system update. Normally the developres should get it right in time. MOTU for example is almost always able to publish new fw-drivers in time. So are the most other developers.

PowerBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

10.4.8 M-Audio Firewire Audiophile problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.