Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media controls not working on my MacBook Air

Hello everybody,

I purchased my Macbook Air 11" almost two years ago and after updating it to I think it was leopard at the time, my media controls stopped working for iTunes. I didn't think much of it since I barely used those keys but after I wanted to use it more and they still don't.

I am currently running Yosemite 10.10.1

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 8:31 AM

3 replies

Jan 26, 2015 2:21 PM in response to adil523

Hello adil523,

It sounds like your Function buttons aren't usable to control your iTunes playback on your computer. From what you describe it seems that you should be able to toggle this funciton in your System Preferences for your keyboard:

How to change the behavior of function keys on your Mac

By default, pressing one of these keys performs the special feature indicated by the icon printed on the key. For example, pressing the keys with speaker icons adjusts the volume. If you want to use one of these keys as a standard function key, hold the Fn key (usually in the lower left corner of the keyboard) while pressing the function key. Pressing Fn-F10 (speaker icon) performs the function assigned to the F10 key instead of toggling mute on or off.

If you prefer the top row of keys to always behave as standard function keys without holding the Fn key:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. From the View menu, choose Keyboard.
  3. Click the Keyboard tab if it is not already selected
  4. Enable "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."

With this option enabled, the top row of keys acts as standard function keys (F1 - F12). To use a feature indicated by the icon printed on a key, hold Fn while pressing the key.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Media controls not working on my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.