Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I edit the drums on Garageband 10.0.3 like I could on previous versions?

The 10.0.3 Garageband drums seem completely automated and I can't seem to edit single bass or snare hits one at a time. Is that sort of thing only found on the older versions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 4:51 PM

6 replies

Jan 25, 2015 8:07 PM in response to vagusaeternus

vagusaeternus wrote:

The 10.0.3 Garageband drums seem completely automated and I can't seem to edit single bass or snare hits one at a time. Is that sort of thing only found on the older versions?

a "drummer" track in GBv10 is indeed completely automated, but you can create your own software track, like in version 6 and earlier, assign it a drum kit patch from the library, and create and edit your own drum notes ("single bass or snare hits").

May 7, 2015 1:03 PM in response to dtables

"automated" is the wrong term to describe the Drummer. You have think of it as two components.

Drummer - the drum pattern generator

When you load a Drummer Track, GarageBand creates that special Track that includes a Drum Pattern Generator, which "automatically" creates drum grooves based on the parameters set in the Drummer Editor. When you load different "Drum Kit" Patches from the Library, you just swap different Drum Samples.

Drummer - the sounds

This is the actual Software Instrument (it is actually an EXS24 Instrument), the sampler that has all the drum samples loaded. When you load those those Patches to a Dummer Track, then the Drum Pattern Generator on that Track uses that instrument. You can load those Patches to a Software Instrument Track and record your standard MIDI Region to create your own grooves using those Sample Instruments.

User uploaded file

I explain all the details about the Drummer in my graphically enhanced manual "GarageBand X - How it Works"

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Can I edit the drums on Garageband 10.0.3 like I could on previous versions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.