Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

videos on ipod nano 7

I can't put videos on my ipod nano 7. I tried to convert, but Itunes keep saying it can't open on my iPod. What is wrong??

iPod nano, Windows 7, Ipod Nano 7th generation

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 5:03 PM

1 reply

Jan 27, 2015 7:56 AM in response to ChambsRB

Hey there, ChambsRB -

The resources below will explain the video formats that will work for your iPod nanoand how to create versions in these formats to sync to your iPod nano. I've highlighted the key information for you. Click on the links for more information.

iTunes: Videos may be unable to sync to iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203180

iTunes: Videos may be unable to sync to iPhone, iPad, or iPod

If you see this alert, iTunes has detected that one or more of the videos syncing from your iTunes library isn't a format you can play on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod: "[Your File] was not copied to the [Device Name] because it cannot be played on this iPhone."

iTunes can play a wide variety of video formats; however, iPhone, iPad, and video-capable iPod devices play videos in specific formats. To learn which video formats are supported:

1. Go to the technical specifications.
  2. Click your device's product family.
  3. Click your specific model.

Learn more about playing and syncing High Definition (HD) content.

Other video sources

If you didn't purchase your videos from the iTunes Store, they may not be a format that you can play on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. In many cases, you can convert them to the correct format using iTunes.

Depending on your device, choose one of these options:

• Select a video and choose File > Create New Version > Create iPod or iPhone Version.
  • Select a video and choose File > Create New Version > Create iPad or Apple TV Version.

Learn more

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

iTunes: Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing videos - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT2729

What are the requirements for playing video on mobile devices?

Mobile Device Family Generations that can play video
iPad All
iPhone All
iPod/iPod classic 5th or later
iPod nano* 3rd or later
iPod touch All

* iPod Nano (6th generation) does not support video playback.

Note: Updates to your device may change the iTunes requirements for syncing.

What video content works with iTunes and mobile devices?

iTunes:

• Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.
  • Video podcasts.
  • iTunes Digital Copies.
  • iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

Mobile Devices:

• Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
  • Videos that have been shared to iTunes using QuickTime Player (Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard).
  • Videos that have been re-encoded for iPod with QuickTime 7 Pro.
  • Videos that have been re-encoded for iPod with iMovie, Final Cut Pro, and others. Refer to Exporting a movie from iMovie HD to iPod for an iMovie HD tutorial.
  • Video Podcasts that have been created for mobile devices.
  • Video files after using the iTunes File > Create New Version > Create iPod or iPhone version option.
  • Video files after using the iTunes File > Create New Version > Create iPad or AppleTV version option (iPad and AppleTV only).
  • See below for detailed movie specifications.
  • iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

Can I sync my own video through iTunes?

Yes, as long as the video file is in a format that iTunes can re-encode. Add the file to your iTunes library and then create versions optimized for your device using the File > Create New Version menu.

Do I need to buy QuickTime 7 Pro to create videos?

QuickTime Player in Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard can share video files to iTunes for syncing to your iPod. For PCs and earlier versions of Mac OS X, QuickTime 7 Pro can also create video files for use with iPod.

In addition, once you've installed QuickTime 7.0.3 or later, most applications that allow you to create (export) QuickTime movies should also allow you to create video files optimized for iPod. For Mac, examples are iMovie and Final Cut Pro. Refer to Exporting a movie from iMovie HD to iPod for information on how to export using iMovie HD. Also, after upgrading to the free QuickTime version 7.0.3, any application that uses the QuickTime export panel will see the new "Export to iPod" option. iTunes can also create videos optimized for iPod or iPhone or iPad or AppleTV using the File > Create New Version menu options.

Does the video need to be encoded in a special way?

All mobile devices which iTunes can sync video to can play the following video formats:

• H.264
    File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
    Video: Up to 768 kbits/sec, 320 x 240, 30 frames per second (fps), Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3.
    Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, and stereo audio.
  • MPEG-4
    File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
    Video: Up to 2.5 Mbits/sec, 480 x 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile.
    Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, stereo audio.

Other formats may be supported by newer devices. The technical specifications can give additional details.

Why do I sometimes not see video but I hear audio, and other times I don't hear audio but I see video?

If you hear audio but don't see video, refer to iPod plays audio but not videos, movies, or TV shows. If you see video, but don't hear audio, refer to iPod plays video but not audio of some exported files.

Have a great day!

- Judy

videos on ipod nano 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.