Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clean install mac using other mac as proxy

My wifes Mac recently crashed and will not boot up past the grey screen.

I've read suggestions that running a "clean install" of the computer can fix this problem.

If I have a firewire cable, would I be able to back up data from her machine onto mine and than reinstall her operating system onto her Mac? If so, how would I go about doing that? We're unfortunately we're living in a pretty remote place at the moment and don't have access to install discs or apple stores at the moment.

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 6:30 PM

4 replies

Jan 25, 2015 6:46 PM in response to davecannamore

What OS's are they running? Do you know what models they are?

If you are in the middle on nowhere with no OS disks what exactly are you going to 'clean install'? Your clone idea is a 'dirty install'.

It is not a good idea to clone one OS onto another especially when they are different models - iMacs have different drivers installed compared to a Macbook Pro. It may not boot.

Is the internet there capable of downloading 6GB or so to get the OS installer from the App store? You can clean install if they can support a downloadable OS.

Firewire may allow you to get data via target disk mode if they both have ports, but it depends on the state of the disk, if it is damaged it won't mount until it is fixed. Thunderbolt can do the same thing (the right leads allow you to mix & match).

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

Have you tried recovery mode to repair her disk with Disk Utility? It makes more sense to try diagnosing/ repairing it before trying reinstalls etc.

Jan 25, 2015 8:27 PM in response to Drew Reece

We're both on OS 10 and both own MacBook Pros. Her is an '09, mine's a mid 2012. Not sure which version OS she had when it crashed however. I'm running 10.8.3 currently.

We could download a new OS from the app store onto my computer and than try to transfer it onto hers. Would that be safe if both models are MacBook pro? Thanks for you help.

Jan 25, 2015 8:50 PM in response to davecannamore

Sorry I thought the first post said her machine was an iMac.

The installer can be downloaded on your Macbook Pro & can be used to install onto her Macbook Pro. You do need to have 10.8 listed in your App Store account to download it. Sign in & confirm that please, Apple keep removing older OS's from sale which can make things awkward. You can use a tool to copy the OS installer onto a USB stick to make a bootable disk to install from, but you should try to repair her Mac first…

Can it boot into recovery mode?

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Hold cmd+r at startup, see if recovery mode starts up. She may not have a recovery partition, but give it a few attempts.

If recovery mode runs use Disk Utility to repair the disk, it may start booting if the disk is repaired.

See how that goes then post back & we can take it from there.

clean install mac using other mac as proxy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.