Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone found a way to import iOS 8 photos directly into iPhoto without sending copious emails to myself?

"Expected behavior" is defined as edits successfully completed on the iOS device will NOT be imported along with the original photos. That seems overwhelmingly counter-intuitive. Has anyone found a way to import iphoto edits completed on an iOS device without emailing each and every edited photo?

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 7:56 PM

11 replies

Jan 26, 2015 6:00 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Léone. Your suggestion requires that I dedicate my entire photo library to a beta app and stops all synching through itunes (photos synched through itunes will be removed). Please confirm. I'm also not finding the Photos (beta) app in the itunes app store. https://www.icloud.com/#photos is a dead end link. Please advise. You are great and your answers are viable, but emailing copious edited photos is sounding easier and easier. — J

Jan 26, 2015 7:37 AM in response to jsoard

Your suggestion requires that I dedicate my entire photo library to a beta app and stops all synching through itunes (photos synched through itunes will be removed)

That is unfortunately correct. If you enable iCloud Photo Library (Beta) on your mobile devices, you can no longer upload from your iPhoto Library by syncing with iTunes, and My Photo Stream will no longer stream from your Mac to your iPad or iPhone.

All photos will be stored in iCloud, as full original and edited versions.. Early this year, the new Photos,app for Mac will expected to be released. It will provide the access to iCloud Photo Library (Beta) from the Mac. Right now, you see it only on the iCloud webpage.

If you enable iCloud Photo Library (Beta) on your iPad, the iCloud webpage will change for you:

This page https://www.icloud.com will show an additional app:

User uploaded file

And if you click the Photos.app on that page, it will take you to a page showing your photos, https://www.icloud.com/#photos

That link is dead for you, as long as you are not using iCloud Photo Library. It will show you the Moments and Albums, just like the Photos.app on the iPad or iPhone.

User uploaded file

iCloud Photo Library lets you save space on the mobile devices, if you set the device to "optimize storage", Then the device will keep only optimized versions, and the originals are only in iCloud.

Jan 26, 2015 3:21 PM in response to léonie

.... and to think, all I want to do is transfer a few photos edited in an Apple App on my iOS8 device to my Powerbook Pro through iTunes to iPhoto. Rather than reinvent the wheel, why can't we just fix the wheel? Still, I realize you are giving me good answers, and I appreciate it. It just shouldn't be this byzantine. I will email the 34 photos and remember not to trust a photo process through Apple without testing first. It's not my first time at this kind of rodeo. Again, thank you for your help. You're great.

Apr 30, 2015 8:19 AM in response to jsoard

I agree that these changes make no sense. I've spent way too much time since the update trying to figure all this out. I'm going to begin using only Lightroom and Lightroom mobile for all my photo edits (just as soon as I learn the programs). For now I have created a folder in Dropbox that I call Snapseed Edits (Snapseed is my preferred photo editor on my iPad). I upload the edited photos from my iPad's camera roll to that folder using the Dropbox iPad app. Then I open my Dropbox folder on my Macbook and download those photos onto my laptop. They then show up in Photos. The only crappy thing with doing it this way is that the date and location data does not stay with the photos.

Jun 2, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Old Toad

Absolutely agree. I simply can't believe this is 'expected behavior'. Let's see - I take a photo on my iPhone, take the time to use the built in ios8 tools to crop, make it black and white, etc, whatever, and then when i import it to my mac using the Photos app, I get my original, unedited photo?!?! How would this make any sense from a user perspective?

Has anyone found a way to import iOS 8 photos directly into iPhoto without sending copious emails to myself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.