Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Play audiobooks on my iPod Nano

The Books icon no longer appears on my iPod Nano and I cannot play wma or mp3 audiobooks. The Fitness, Radio, Music, Clock, Photos, etc. icons are still visible. I have used this iPod for some time to listen to wma and mp3 audio books from my local library using Overdrive to download the audio books from the library and then transfer it to my iPod. That no longer works. It is not a problem with the library or Overdrive. I can still download and transfer audio books onto my old iphone 3 and listen to them. When I attach the iPod to the computer it shows up in itunes and under Devices shows my iPod with Music and Audio books, but the transferred audio books do not show up under music or Audio books in iTunes either. iTunes doesn't support wma files but it does support mp3 files. I can transfer library mp3 books to iTunes but then cannot move them to my iPod nano.I tried using Restore iPod in iTunes but when that it changed nothing.

iPod nano (6th generation), Windows 7

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 11:38 AM

Hi,

Have you figured this out? I have the same exact problem after updating to 1.0.3. today. I only have mp3 files and they are all gone, also tried restoring and nothing has changed. is this a bug with the update i wonder? my ipod is useless now as i only use it for audiobooks. my ipod nano is a 7G and I'm using Windows 8.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2015 11:38 AM in response to Sing141

Hi,

Have you figured this out? I have the same exact problem after updating to 1.0.3. today. I only have mp3 files and they are all gone, also tried restoring and nothing has changed. is this a bug with the update i wonder? my ipod is useless now as i only use it for audiobooks. my ipod nano is a 7G and I'm using Windows 8.

Feb 5, 2015 12:32 PM in response to littlewren26

This is reply to what I posted at Sing141. Apple wouldn't let me get here and reply without entering a new user name so here I am with some other user name. Are your audiobooks from the library? If so, do you use overdrive to download the books and then to transfer the audiobook to your iPod Nano? If you do the problem I had was that the some Apple Nano or iTunes update made a change in where the file is transferred to and I didn't realize it..

If you are using Overdrive to transfer the book to your iPod, in Overdrive select the book to be transferred. MAKE SURE THAT DURING STEP 4 OF THE TRANSFER YOU HAVE SELECTED THE CORRECT DEVICE FROM THE PLAYER DROP-DOWN MENU. PICK THE ONE THAT SAYS APPLE DEVICE (NAME OF YOUR DEVICE). DO NOT SELECT APPLE USB DRIVER. I used caps to point out the cause of the problem I had.

I can't send a copy of the screen with the title "OverDrive Transfer Wizard - Confirm" but it Says something like Please select the desired portable player and part(s) to transfer. (referring to parts of the book.) It lists in a column on the left the Title: Player: Parts. Be sure to use the menu drop-down arrow on the far right to open Player selections list and select your iPod name. My iPod name is Allens iPod but somehow in updating the iPod or iTunes the selection had been changed to Apple Mobile Device USB Driver, rather than AllensiPod.

Hope this helps. It was the solution to my problem.

Feb 5, 2015 6:39 PM in response to homer1953

I had the same problem locating the drop box to change from the USB driver device. If your version of Overdrive is like mine you can try this:

On the line that says Player: go to the far right where there is a little triangle in a square box. Click on that triangle and the choices appear. Select the correct name for your iPod. On my selections the WRONG one was Apple Mobile Device USB Driver (Allen-HP'S). The correct choice for me is Apple Device (Allen-HP’s iPod). Select the one that doesn’t say anything about USB Driver. After I selected the correct iPod and transferred the audiobook everything corrected itself on my iPod. MP3 audio books show up under Music and WMA books show up as Audiobooks on my iPod.

Let me know if this works for you.

Feb 5, 2015 7:08 PM in response to AllenFromNowhere

I have been hesitant to download the updated version of Overdrive since it was working so well for me but since that has changed I did update to the latest version and tried to load the library books again. I still do not have the option to change the player name. The first screen of the Transfer Wizard asks me to connect the device and I plug the nano into the front of my computer and click next. The confirm screen comes up and I can select or deselect parts and chose back or next. I cannot find an option in preferences that will give be an option to change players. At my wits end.

Feb 5, 2015 7:28 PM in response to homer1953

Hi,

I had the same problem as you, no option to change the Player field as to where the audiobooks would transfer to. I have a workaround but it's long and clumsy. Basically find the downloaded Overdrive files on your computer, I found mine under Documents, My Media, MP3 audiobooks. Select all the files for your book, then copy and paste them into the iTunes folder on your computer. Mine was under Music, then iTunes Media. Open the iTunes program, and from the left hand little box in the upper left hand corner(I'm sure it has a name...) choose Add File to Library. It will open your media folder, you want the iTunes Media folder where the book files have been copied to. Select all the files for one book and hit Open. You'll need to sync the books, then manually move them into audiobooks.

I hope this makes sense to you, I had some help so I didn't do all the steps on my own.

Feb 5, 2015 8:09 PM in response to littlewren26

Thank you! I guess this is the way I will have to will have to get my library books from now on too. Thank you to AllenFromNowhere for his efforts. I don't know why my overdrive does not have the options available that are needed. I am just glad to be able to use my nano for audio books. This copy and paste worked perfectly and I believe it will get faster with practice. Thanks again to you both.

Feb 5, 2015 8:41 PM in response to homer1953

I almost gave up on getting the problem solved and then there it was. I have windows 7 and you have Windows 8 and then maybe you have a newer version of the iP0d Nano. I don't understand their pre-this, post-that versions. I only use my iPod to listen to Library audiobooks. I think the libraries are getting away from using WMA files. Apple no longer supports wma files so I've tried never to load any new updates although I guess I did by restoring it. I think my version is 1.0.2 rather than what you said you had.

I suggest you contact Overdrive Support. Try this email address since it is the one they used to communicate with me: frontlinesupport@overdrive.com

I can't find the email address I used to originally contact support. It was one of those with a bunch of boxes to fill in and then a place to describe the problem. I have replied to their contact with me and asked to verify a support email address. When I get it I will pass it on to you.

I was looking for a player that didn't require iTunes to transfer files and that supported both WMA and MP3 files. WMA is outdated. Apple iPhone etc. no longer supports it. Neither does Android. They say there is an app that will allow playing WMA files but I haven't been able to get it to work. My iPod Nano now works again so I'll stick to it. MP3 audiobooks play as music on the iPhone and on Addroid if you can get it set up so it plays the book in the correct order.

Feb 6, 2015 10:00 AM in response to AllenFromNowhere

Here is the reply I got from OverDrive support. It says to access tech by using the Help link on the library digital website. Here's their full message:

"Unfortunately, we do not have a direct email or link to contact us for all users. Anyone with an issue can visit the Help link on their library's digital website to submit a support request.

We have found that the latest update to iTunes appears to have caused this issue. Our developers are working to develop a resolution.

In the meantime, you can roll back iTunes to a previous version to continue transferring WMA titles. Or, for MP3 titles, you can work around the issue by importing the MP3 files directly into iTunes, using the Add to iTunes Library feature in the iTunes File menu. Once the MP3 files are imported, you can simply sync them like any other MP3."

Thank you,
Eric
OverDrive Support Services

Feb 15, 2015 5:20 PM in response to Sing141

Thanks to AllenfromNowhere I'm up and running.

I went into iTunes and changed the name of my iPod. Then that name came up when I went to transfer the audio book.

I agree with someone else that all this may have happened because i updated OverDrive (which has been working well for me for years)

\

This is the first time I've used the support community. Thanks to all of you who contribute. It takes a village .... to keep my technology working!

Cannot Play audiobooks on my iPod Nano

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.