Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use iCloud to backup my whole laptop/Macbook Pro, almost 500GB?

How would that work? Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 8:48 PM

10 replies

Jan 26, 2015 12:01 AM in response to jules105

So it is not possible to upload my HD to iCloud? I don't have an iphoto library, I just have a folder with my pictures.

You are asking about iCloud Drive, right? It looks like a drive in the Finder sidebar, and you can drag and drop documents there, as long as they are smaller than 15GB. Your files will upload to iCloud and be stored there. See this link: iCloud Drive FAQ

But there are two things to consider:

• iCloud is meant for updating the documents across all devices. For each and every document you are storing in iCloud, a shadow copy will download to your Mac as well. If you use the 500 GB for iCloud Drive in iCloud, you will need the same amount of storage locally on your Mac.
  • iCloud is meant to store the documents you are working with. If you edit or delete change a document on iCloud Drive, the changes will propagate to all devices and update the documents there. This is not suitable for a backup, because you cannot restore the originals from iCloud. A document you delete on modify on your Mac will be deleted from iCloud or modfied in iCloud as well.

You need a backup of all documents you store in iCloud. As Niel said, iCloud can be used to backup mobile devices, if you do not have a Computer to backup your mobile devices (iCloud: Backup and restore overview), but it does not backup Macs. A backup is a copy of your documents, that you never touch or modify, and keep for an emergency.

Can I use iCloud to backup my whole laptop/Macbook Pro, almost 500GB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.