Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPad settings,about show I have photos when my photo app says I have none?

Why does my iPad settings,about show I have photos when my photo app says I have none?

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 7:44 AM

Have you emptied the "recently deleted" album? Photos does not delete the photos right away, but keeps them for a month in "recently deleted", so you can change your mind. If you want to trash them immediately, delete them from this album.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2015 7:44 AM in response to poconohill

Have you emptied the "recently deleted" album? Photos does not delete the photos right away, but keeps them for a month in "recently deleted", so you can change your mind. If you want to trash them immediately, delete them from this album.

Jan 26, 2015 10:47 AM in response to poconohill

Did you previously use iPhoto? If you did not migrate your iphoto Library, it may still be holding photos. (Migrating from iPhoto for iOS to Photos on iOS 8)

You did not say anything about your iCloud use. And it is really hard to guess, where photos may be hiding. It really depends, on which apps you are using. On my iPad are hundreds of photos in the Navionics nautical charts, that are not showing in Photos.

if you had synced photos on your iPad, you cannot delete them, but they would be showing in Photos.

If you cannot find any app that may be storing photos, restore the iPad. (Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support)

Jan 26, 2015 12:22 PM in response to léonie

I Think I found my answer. I installed an app to search through My iPad and gather all photos that I can view into one place to view. It turns out that two of the PhotoStreams I am linked to from my relatives total up to exactly 483. That can't be a random coincidence. I think that is where Settings, General, About, Photos is getting the number. I don't see why Apple should tally this number since the photos are not physically on the iPad. I wanted to make sure iCloud backup was not eating up space with phantom photos.

Jan 26, 2015 12:27 PM in response to poconohill

I installed an app to search through My iPad and gather all photos that I can view into one place to view.

This app will probably keep thumbnails of the photos it found in the shared photo stream.

But if you are signed into Shared albums, don't they show in the Photos.app in the "Shared" tab? The iPad will keep thumbnails of these phots as well.

Mar 29, 2015 8:49 AM in response to léonie

I'm having this same problem and would really appreciate any support. iPad is showing 6GB of photographs that I just don't have. This problem has been going on for a while, so it's not just an issue of things taking a few hours, or even days, to catch up.

I have

• switched it off and on again - repeatedly
  • updated to the latest iOS
  • deleted all photos and videos (including the "recently deleted" folder)
  • changed the date in Settings to see if old pictures appear in old "recently deleted" folders - they didn't
  • deleted everything from iPhoto as well (that only shows up as 320MB usage)
  • checked the iPad on iTunes - no photos showing up there at all
  • turned off My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo sharing

I tried to turn on the iCloud Photo Library (Beta) but the effing thing won't let me because it says I have insufficient space available, what with my iPad being rammed full of photographs (that don't exist).

Mar 29, 2015 11:21 AM in response to hscharlesworth

After the most recent iOS update there is a problem with phantom photos.

Perhaps you have phantom photos, that are invisible in the Recently Deleted album and thus cannot be deleted. Then resetting the date will help. Changing the date makes the invisible photos in "Recently deleted" visible again:

txforeverMar 5, 2015 6:38 PM Re: More photos in settings than photos app shows
Re: More photos in settings than photos app showsin response to morganfaith6 | This helped me

I managed to get rid of the phantom usage. Restoring iPhone and resetting the phone settings/data do not work for me.

I had to move the Date on my phone earlier by 1,2,3 months and found the phantom photos in the Recently Deleted Folder. Next, I deleted the photos manually from the Recently Deleted Folder and the usage got freed up from my iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.