Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I import my library as mp3 or AAC 256

Under iTunes 10.7 you use to be able to import your Music (Hard drive iTunes Music Library) into iTunes as a different format. Useful when space was limited with MBP or you needed to create a new library of MP3 for your car or another type portable that only takes mp3.

I was trying to do this will 11.4 but it only has "Add to Library" and the import settings are only for importing from a CD.

I am trying to import my lossless iTunes music folder into itunes on my MBP and take up less space but maintain folder hierarchy

I don't want to try and convert each album individually (233 gb of music that I imported from CDs)

Is there a way now to do this or a very very good batch program that will do it

Thanks for any help.

Loss of functionality ie sidebar (why I am not on 12), loss of import functions Apple seems to be dumbing down itunes

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), Mac OS 9.2.x, iMac27 2012 iMac27 2009 MBP 2012

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 7:01 AM

1 reply

Jan 26, 2015 8:49 AM in response to porsche87

You are given the chance to specify import format as part of ripping a CD. For files that already exist on the computer they simply get added to iTunes and you then convert them to a second format as needed.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550 - including information about different formats and discussion about compression. For iTunes 11.

In iTunes11: File > Create New Version

In iTunes11 "Create..." is in the File menu, not the Advanced menu. Prior to iTunes11 use iTunes menu > Advanced

I have the feeling you are not going about things correctly. Why is there the sudden need to convert 233 GB of files which have already been ripped, unless you ripped them originally as AIFF and want to save in a smaller format?

If you want to convert without using iTunes check XLD or Max audio converters.

How can I import my library as mp3 or AAC 256

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.