Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get the fn key on the aluminum keyboard to work like Insert under Windows?

How do I get the fn key on the aluminum keyboard to work like Insert under Windows without having to press fn + Enter?

This article explains the problem but has no real solution:

Boot Camp: About keyboards and key assignment for Microsoft Windows - Apple Support

Mac mini (Late 2012), Windows 7, null

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 9:37 AM

15 replies

Jan 26, 2015 7:44 PM in response to skjell

Go online to Apple Support. Look up Windows to Apple keyboard chart. Note that certain functions on a Windows keyboard are not present on the Apple Keyboard. A Microsoft Internet USB Keyboard will work on the Mini providing certain functions when running Windows and just as the Apple Keyboard with Windows, certain functions of a "Windows" keyboard will not be present running OS X. There is lots more documentation under Apple Support that will prove useful to you. OS X and Boot Camp/Windows. Note: Having a USB keyboard on hand be it PC or Apple or both will always be handy. The keyboard charts will help you a lot. It did for me. I run Mavericks with Boot Camp Windows 7 Pro on a Mini (late 2012). Apple USB keyboard and Magic Track Pad. Take care.

Jan 27, 2015 3:24 AM in response to jndupuis1

That is much too general and does not provide a shred of a hint as to how I solve this problem. Read the first message again. Specifically, how do I get fn to work exactly as Insert?

The fn key seems to be hard-coded in some way internally in the keyboard, unlike the Help key on older Apple keyboards, so that you have to press fn + Enter to get it to do Insert in Windows. That just does not cut it! I need to be able too press fn and have it do Insert, because I have to use Insert all the time.

And that is what I need it to do. If that is simply not possible, then forget about it. I will have to use a very ugly PC keyboard. (Most PC keyboards are black for some reason and are poorly made.)

Jan 27, 2015 4:57 AM in response to jndupuis1

As well I have an Apple Aluminum USB full keyboard. I provided the source for Apple Keyboard conversion charts. My apology if that cannot solve your problem. I have Boot Camped Windows 7 Pro and have to work around the Apple keyboard which does not provide the full functionality in Windows, which the charts indicate. The keyboard chart does shed light on some keys on the Apple keyboard that are functional in Windows. i.e: "Clear" on numeric keypad is "Num Loc" in Windows. The Apple wireless keyboard is not a full keyboard as I am sure you are aware. My apology, again. Just trying to help.

Jan 27, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Rudegar

This is just a general talk and does not solve the problem at all. See my original post about the fn key. The fn key appears to be physically hard-coded internally in the newer Apple keyboards - it's a modifier key - and that's what's at the heart of the problem. No Windows tweaking will solve that since it is an Apple hardware issue.

Jan 27, 2015 9:44 AM in response to skjell

I run Windows 7 Pro on my Mac Mini and have a Mac Full (Aluminum) keyboard. There are Windows (TM) keyboard shortcuts that cannot be used on an Apple (TM) keyboard. That is why I posted for you to look up the keyboard conversion charts on Apple Support. It is not an Apple issue - it is not a Windows issue. Run Windows on an IBM compatible if you wish to have full PC keyboard functionality. Apple's keyboard has full functionality in OS X.

Jan 27, 2015 10:43 AM in response to jndupuis1

I'm not sure if you even read the first couple of posts at all. On the old Apple Pro Keyboard (white keys and translucent body), pressing the Help key resulted in exactly the same key code as the Insert key on any standard (IBM) PC keyboard. This meant that regarding this key, that Mac keyboard will work just like a PC keyboard. (I don't care much about the other keys.)

The problem is that on the current Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (white low-profile chicklet keys, ultra-slim aluminum body), the Help key is now called fn and produces a different key code than the old Help key, so that you have to press fn + Enter (on the numerical keypad) to get Insert.

This page explains the problem:

Boot Camp: About keyboards and key assignment for Microsoft Windows - Apple Support

Do you understand what I mean? It's not a software thing, it's a hardware issue in the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, because fn is a hard-coded, not software-controlled modifier key. I have no idea if there is even a way to get around that, and that is what I am trying to find out.

Apr 26, 2015 2:09 PM in response to skjell

Turn on your on-screen Keyboard and check what Fn generates. If it is designated as a modifier key, not a terminator key, it is unlikely that you can make it generate the Insert keycode. Redefining Fn as Insert causes additional issues for other keys which require Fn+Key Sequence, which becomes Insert+Key Sequence. This Insert+Key Sequence is invalid.

You may also be interested in https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2056/_index.html.

Apr 26, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you, I will try that. I am using an old Mac keyboard, the transparent and white one that shipped with the old Power Macs, and it works beautifully with OS X and Windows. ButI want to get the newer aluminum keyboard, because it has such a great tactile feel to it. On the old plastic keyboards, the help key equals the Insert key when you are running Windows through Boot Camp. No problem. The help key code is identical to that of the Insert key on a PC keyboard. I will try one of the new keyboards and see if I can get the fn key to do Insert.

How do I get the fn key on the aluminum keyboard to work like Insert under Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.