Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix broken file type icons?

I recently removed microsoft office from my computer and installed LibreOffice. Now .xlsx, .docx and .pptx files show an "empty document" icon. When I get info for a file, the icon that shows up is the microsoft office icon, but these icons do not show in finder.

Is there anyway to fix this problem. Not having icons makes it more difficult to distinguish between files at first glance.

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 4:54 PM

Select one file of a given type, Get Info, the set the program to open it to LibreOffice (or whatever its sub-component is). Then, click the Change All… button.

If that doesn't restore the icons after a period of time, you might try resetting the Launch Services database. Run the following command in Terminal. To Run it, triple-click the line to select it all, then copy it to clipboard. Open Terminal and paste it in. Hit return.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user

The icons are cached from the Application. If the Application is no longer loaded, the icon will be lost. It may be that the preview icon is cached in a different location and not updated.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2015 4:54 PM in response to NDRisk

Select one file of a given type, Get Info, the set the program to open it to LibreOffice (or whatever its sub-component is). Then, click the Change All… button.

If that doesn't restore the icons after a period of time, you might try resetting the Launch Services database. Run the following command in Terminal. To Run it, triple-click the line to select it all, then copy it to clipboard. Open Terminal and paste it in. Hit return.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user

The icons are cached from the Application. If the Application is no longer loaded, the icon will be lost. It may be that the preview icon is cached in a different location and not updated.

Jan 26, 2015 5:03 PM in response to NDRisk

For each different Word, Excel, and Powerpoint icon, perform a Get Info on it. In the resulting panel, look at the Open with: application choice. Change this to LibreOffice. Then click the Change All… button. You will be presented with the following pop-up. Click Continue.

User uploaded file

The Open with application will now be the LibreOffice icon. This icon will appear after you have performed this process on the other MS Office documents. LibreOffice will detect what type of file format, and automatically open it in Writer, Calc, or Impress.

Apr 30, 2015 6:12 AM in response to NDRisk

Have you tried clearing your icon cache via terminal?

You can clear your icon cache by following these steps:

1. Close all active applications

2. Run terminal

3. Type the following command:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store

4. Terminal will prompt you for your admin password, so type that it and hit return

5. Reboot your mac

Just so you know, I had a problem of a somewhat similar nature, with respect to .torrent files. Before, my default torrent client was utorrent, so naturally, all my .torrent files would show utorrent file icons. But I unistalled utorrent. Then i reinstalled utorrent. Upon reinstalling utorrent, however, I noticed that .torrent files are now showing blank icons in finder instead of the utorrent file icons i had before. That despite the fact that utorrent is now my only and default app for opening .torrent files.

So what I did is to clear my icon cache (following the steps above) and that fixed my problem.

Good luck.

How to fix broken file type icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.