Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iDVD files?

I have several files from an old backup (around 7-yrs old)

chickens.dvdproj 274.5MB

My Great DVD.dvdproj 34.8MB

crystal.dvdproj 427.1MB

I'm not likely to ever reopen them, I do not even have iDVD to check them on my new iMac, though I want to make sure I'm not deleting anything important.

1. Way back when I worked on these projects, did I copy my files into iDVD or did I move my files into iDVD? In other words, I want to make sure that my original source files would be somewhere else on my backup and not moved and embedded into these iDVD files. If they were embedded/moved into these files than I would not want to delete them.

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 9:02 AM

iDVD project files just contain links/pointers to the media files used in them. Deleting them will not delete any of the photo and/or movie files that were included in those projects.

User uploaded file

4 replies

Jan 29, 2015 8:26 AM in response to southwestform

The project files will contain versions of videos added to the project. However, the audio for those movies are stripped from the file leaving only the video. However the files in the project package only contain the video portion of the movie file. The audio has been stripped out and stored in an audio file that I've not been able to crack. This screenshot is from a project with 1 iDVD slideshow from stills and 3 movie files.

The movie files are circled in the iDVD menu as well in the MPEG folder of the Resources folder.

User uploaded file

Open one of the packages and see if you can recover anything that's worthwhile. Unless you added media files to the DVD-ROM portion of the project

User uploaded file

there won't be any usable files that can be recovered.

May 25, 2015 5:21 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks OldToad

I think I'm in this situation... I've just found an old drive with about 20 "home movie" iDVD projects which are like 2-4GB each - so I've always thought there was great content in there to be "saved" eventually. However, now that I dig into the project files like you show above, I find the clips but they don't have any audio anywhere.

I think I'm lucky in that I have the old video tapes still lying around, but any "edits" I've done to make them cute DVDs seems to be out the window forever.

Appreciate that you at least posted some info that I could find and it helps a lot so thanks for your time!

Old iDVD files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.