Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Compression for Youtube for long video

I have a 45 minute film I would like to upload to Youtube. I have outputted a file from FCP7 using settings as they are, ProRes422 and it is 1920 x 1080 and 40.4GB. I then used the Youtube presets in Compressor and now have a .mov file 1280 x 720 and 2.83GB. This upload from where I am in Australia will take approx 7 hours.

Can anyone please recommend a better setting that gives me good quality and a size that wont give me a long upload time? The film was shot on a Canon XA10, frame rate 25.

Thank you.

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 6:12 PM

1 reply

Jan 27, 2015 8:28 AM in response to mark norfolk

Three ways to make a smaller file (with the assumption you are using H.264 as the codec)

1. Lower the bit rate (image may degrade as there are less bits to carry the subtle image information - do a test to see what's acceptable)

2. reduce the image size (smaller images need less bits to carry the same color subtlety - you will also need to reduce bit rate as well - no use shrinking the image and keeping the same high bit rate - you may see marginal file size reduction)

3. reduce length (less to encode...)

Alternatively, start the upload just before you go to bed. Get a good night's sleep and the file should be at it's destination by the time you wake up.

x

Best Compression for Youtube for long video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.