Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommended OS for Macintosh Plus 1mb

i just got an old Macintosh plus for $30 and it is missing the system disks. I have a Macintosh classic with System 6, I tried that disk but the plus just ejects it and shows an X on the screen. So I'm guessing this is because there is only 1mb of ram. What system will run on this computer?

Macintosh Plus-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 7:15 PM

2 replies

Jan 27, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Matthewlopez

First of all. please note that a Macintosh Plus cannot handle 1.44 MB floppy disks. The floppy drive in a Plus is limited to the special 800K (DSDD/2DD diskettes) Mac format, whereas a Macintosh Classic can use both 1.44 MB (HD diskettes) and 800K.

With only 1 MB of RAM installed, the maximum system version should be 6.0.3. With 4 MB of RAM, System 6.0.8 and 7.0 are two suitable versions.

Also, as you probably know, the Macintosh Plus does not contain a hard drive. The computer can run directly from a system on a floppy, but an external SCSI hard drive would be needed in order to carry out full installations.

Jan

Addendum:

Without access to DSDD/2DD diskettes, it is possible to cover the extra square hole (the one without a lock tab) in an HD diskette with a piece of tape. You could then try to initialise that floppy (to 800K = two-sided) on the Macintosh Classic, and copy a small/limited System 6 system folder to it. Finally, test that floppy in the Plus. Because of different magnetic disk materials, this may or may not work (and the disk may not be stable). Only use it as a very temporary solution.

Recommended OS for Macintosh Plus 1mb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.