Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can an iPod classic used on a Mac sync to a Windows computer?

I've got an iPod classic that I've only used with iTunes on my Macbook. It currently syncs fine with the latest version of iTunes. I was planning on selling it and the person wanting to buy it has a Windows notebook. Will the iPod sync just fine when they connect it on a Windows computer? Is there anything that has to be done to make this happen if it's not a straightforward process?

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 8:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 6:58 AM

Hello pilgrim77,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you're wondering if a Windows user can use your Mac formatted iPod classic, then please take a look at the information below.

Question: Can I use an iPod formatted for Mac on a PC, or an iPod formatted for Windows on a Mac?

Answer: It is not possible to use an iPod formatted for Mac with Windows. This is because Windows does not support the HFS Plus file system and therefore will not see the drive. When you connect an iPod formatted for Mac to your PC, iTunes will prompt you to restore the iPod.

iPod: Frequently Asked Questions

Have a good one,

Alex H.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2015 6:58 AM in response to pilgrim77

Hello pilgrim77,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you're wondering if a Windows user can use your Mac formatted iPod classic, then please take a look at the information below.

Question: Can I use an iPod formatted for Mac on a PC, or an iPod formatted for Windows on a Mac?

Answer: It is not possible to use an iPod formatted for Mac with Windows. This is because Windows does not support the HFS Plus file system and therefore will not see the drive. When you connect an iPod formatted for Mac to your PC, iTunes will prompt you to restore the iPod.

iPod: Frequently Asked Questions

Have a good one,

Alex H.

can an iPod classic used on a Mac sync to a Windows computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.