Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open desktop and screen saver in system preferences

So i just turn on my macbook and suddenly my desktop wallpaper became yellow and i can't change it. Every time i open the desktop and screen saver in system preferences it says cannot load desktop and system preference pane. i've tried to solve it by deleting these files :

om.apple.screensaver.plist

com.apple.desktop.plist

com.apple.systempreferences.plist

but it just didn't work. i've upgrade it to yosemite 10.10.1 too.

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 11:48 AM

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/Dock/desktoppicture.db

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. Log out or restart the computer and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Daniel William

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/Dock/desktoppicture.db

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. Log out or restart the computer and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jan 27, 2015 6:50 PM in response to Daniel William

First follow the instructions in this support article.

If an iPhoto or Aperture library is the source of your desktop pictures, it may need to be rebuilt, or you may need to update the application to the latest version.

Otherwise, continue as below.

Back up all data.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go Library

from the menu bar. From the Library folder, delete the following item, if it exists:

Caches/com.apple.systempreferences

and move the following items to the Desktop, if they exist:

Application Support/Dock/desktoppicture.db

Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Launch System Preferences and test. If you still have the issue, put the items you moved to the Desktop back where they came from and post again. Otherwise, delete the items.

Cannot open desktop and screen saver in system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.