Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best practice for unmounting Xsan volume?

Just a quick opinion question. We have eight workstations connected to a single 100TB Xsan volume in a video editing environment. My question is that there is one laptop that gets moved from a workstation to the studio, both locations have SANlinks and Apple TB displays. I'm fully aware that Xsan volumes are not really intended to be used as a portable solution, but rather a permanent installation, which is how all of the other workstations are configured. However, I have one person that moves his MBPr between stations.

My question is what is the optimal way to mount and unmount the Xsan volume before moving the laptop. Obviously it cannot be unmounted in a traditional fashion, so the two procedures I'm aware of are: (1) shut down the computer, unplug, move the machine, replug, turn on, or (2) run sudo xsanctl unmount Media, move the computer, replug, then run the mount command. I'm just wondering people's opinion on what the best option would be of those two, or if there's a simpler way. If the command is the best way I can easily write a mount and unmount script, but I'm just not sure. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 8:08 AM

There are no replies.

Best practice for unmounting Xsan volume?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.