Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Both our logins in Mail show the same email address -- should be different

We recently changed email providers.

Both our new emails end in "gmail.com." But we use different names/addresses/signatures. I am the main login to the computer and the wrong address shows up exclusively only when my wife sends out a message (though not consistently!). Mail handles both the addresses I myself use (iCloud.com as well as Gmail) with no problems. Howcum? How can I fix this? (FYI: There was no problem with our previous email addresses, before the change.)

And further to the topic of Mail: often, Mail locks up and I have to Force Quit to get back to work with Mail.

And there's another peculiar habit it has picked up. After I select some old emails, right click and ask the machine to Send to Trash . . . it sometimes says it can't. "Could not be moved to Trash." Doesn't tell me why, though.

This is not on a level with solving the Ebola crisis. But I sure would like to get it under control.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 11:01 AM

18 replies

Jan 27, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Kappy

Great BIG FINGER! And a polite one, too.

Okay, under Users & Groups, I have myself as Admin, my wife as Standard and a Guest User Enabled, Managed (whatever that may mean). Under me, there's an option to show Login Items . . . but not under hers. We both have Reset Password. I do not have her clicked as Allow user to administer this computer. Matter of fact, that is grayed out.

Should I create a separate Admin account for her, and would that mean we would each have to log on and out before the other could use the computer?

OOPS? While fuddling around (that's fiddling and muddling), I clicked Allow user to administer this computer. Minutes later, it was not grayed out, she was listed as Admin, and an email from her to my alternate email (iCloud) showed the correct return address.

Is this a solution, or a lucky fluke?

Jan 27, 2015 12:27 PM in response to cafox513

Don't change a thing. You both already have separate accounts. When you set up her Mail account be sure you are logged into her account at the time. Also, you have to configure an SMTP or Send Mail server. That will be the same in her account as in your account if you both use the same email provider.

When you each send an email from your respective accounts they may show that the email was sent by the wrong party because you have not configured who to show as the sender in Mail's preferences - click on the Composing icon in the toolbar. Each account should be made different so that her mail is sent by her while yours is sent by you.

Configuring Mail for your email account

Apple - Support - Mac 101 - Troubleshooting 101

Mac 101- Mail (OS X Mountain Lion)

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Mac Basics- Mail (OS X Mountain Lion)

Jan 27, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Kappy

I'll spend some time with the links you sent. Thanks again for your help on this.

I checked our accounts, and sure enough, all email is marked Send from me. But if I change hers . . . that changes the other two as well.

You wrote "be sure you are logged into her account at the time." How do I do that? I think ⚠ that's what the last part my response -- two notes ago -- referred to.

Both our logins in Mail show the same email address -- should be different

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.